Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ichiro and the Media

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Ichiro and the Media
Seattle, Washington (USA) --

First off, I wanted to thank westbaystars for the editing of my last article "MLB Draft." Yes, there were many grammatical errors, but hey, I'm in radio...

Having covered the MLB for the past three seasons, it is always fun to watch how both a rookie baseball player and a foreign baseball player make the adjustments to the lifestyle that the MLB provides.

Yes, it is not only a matter of having a few extra dollars in your pocket, but that of the nightlife, and the travel that pose as humorous things for a veteran player (and reporter) to watch.

Of course Ichiro is the hottest thing to touch the USA's Northwestern most team since well, anything. Ichiro has allowed the fans of Seattle the opportunity to quickly get over the losses of three marquee superstars who fled to other financially lucrative destinations: Griffey, who left for greener pastures in Cincinnati, Randy Johnson who just came off a co-MVP World Series win with the Arizona Diamondbacks, and of course Seattle's most beloved player (prior to Ichiro), Alex Rodriguez who bolted to Texas to stumble with the Rangers.

But aside from Ichiro making his mark in the outfield for the M's its amazing to see how he handles his entourage here in the 'Emerald City'.

To the North American media, Ichiro is both accommodating and at times humourous. Ichiro was quoted as saying just after the Mariners first loss of the 2002 season, "I guess this means we are officially in a slump" referring to the high expectations put before the Mariners this season by the media who said that the Mariners had improved personnel wise on a team that had won 116 games in 2001.

The media had a good chuckle, and eventually made their way over to other parts of the clubhouse. But then it was the Japanese media's turn to speak to Ichiro. And as I looked on, being one of the final people to leave Ichiro, I noticed that the Japanese media approached last year's AL MVP with much more hesitation.

Ichiro was approached by only one of the media members, who spoke on behalf of the other 16 reporters that stood waiting for a bite from Ichiro. Quietly, Ichiro spoke, as if he was another person all together, and graciously the reporter took anything that #51 offered and scampered back to the herd of Japanese media chomping at the bit to get their hands on the quotes.

I was spellbound! I couldn't shake that vision as I began my drive back up the Interstate towards my home. But then it hit me, Ichiro had become one of only a few foreign players who had ever been able to truly make the transition to the "Show." Ichiro had figured out that the Japanese media was always going to be the one who judged him upon his triumphant return to Japan. And had also figured out that in order to win over the media in North America, he would need his charm and charisma to help him achieve the status so many had said he had in Japan.

It was magnificent. Ichiro had found a way to play the media like puppets. It was wonderful. The North Americans went away happy, and the Japanese media also felt like Ichiro had delievered.

An amazing moment not soon forgotten.

The transition is difficult, and at times surreal, but I can honestly say that Ichiro should write a book, then have it distributed to every foreign player considering crossing the water, and let them know just how its done in the spectacle that is the Major Leagues.

Rob Fai

Comments
Editing
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 18, 2002 8:27 AM | YBS Fan ]

Actually, that was null-san who corrected the last article. I'm afraid I was sleeping on the job, then.

Nonetheless, I think null-san will agree, this one is done better.
Re: Ichiro and the Media
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Apr 18, 2002 10:19 PM ]

Mr. Fai,
Japanese media is much more vicious and ominipresent than the American media. Only Michael Jordan can relate to what Ichiro experienced in Japan for 10 years. My impression was that he was hounded by the media much more than Michael believe it or not. But like Michael, he is very good at manipulating the media.
Re: Ichiro and the Media
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Apr 20, 2002 9:29 AM ]

Interesting to hear that Suzuki is talking to the Japanese press. The rumor mill had it that he was maintaining radio silence (yuk yuk).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.