Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Valentine Audio Interview

Discussion in the Interviews forum
Valentine Audio Interview
You can hear a 26-minute audio interview with Bobby Valentine at WFan.com, recorded on December 3. This is the website of an all-sports radio station in New York City. Bobby discusses his new job as manager of the Chiba Lotte Marines, Kazuo Matsui, and various other issues of interest to Japanese baseball fans. The interview is with afternoon hosts Mike Francesa and Christoper "Mad Dog" Russo.

Among other quotables, Bobby mentions that he "doesn't mind the food."
Comments
Re: Valentine Audio Interview
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 5, 2003 9:53 AM | YBS Fan ]

I was having trouble with the JavaScript link on the main page, so here is the direct link to the audio page [wfan.com].

I was most impressed with Bobby's take on Lotte's owner. Namely his interest in building baseball through the Pacific. Bobby also mentioned the possiblity of a "Pacific Rim League," although his definition was more of a division of MLB than my Pacific Rim League vision. It does give me hope that the Pacific League owners are considering something similar to my plan. [For more details, try these Google search results.]

The first half of the interview was about Japanese baseball, the second half focused on the Mets. Still, at the end, Bobby said that he'd like to do a weekly spot for WFAN about what's going on in Japanese baseball. He said it kind of jokingly, but I think that that could do a lot of good in getting better information out to the masses in North America (or New York, at least).

Thanks for spotting that interview.
Re: Valentine Audio Interview
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Dec 5, 2003 6:16 PM | HT Fan ]

If Bobby V. ever managed to get a weekly spot on New York's WFAN discussing anything, let alone Japanese baseball, it would be a miracle, alas. The very people who you hear interviewing him here used to savage him regularly when he managed the NY Mets. Bobby was definitely showing his "ganbaru" spirit in granting that interview -- so let's accentuate the positive and be grateful for that.

Might be worth searching the web for any other call-in sports stations. And are there any such radio stations in Japan?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.