Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Jeong-soo shim

Discussion in the KBO News forum
Jeong-soo shim
Any info on how Jeong-soo Shim is doing this year in the KBO? Is he still considering to try MLB next season?
Comments
Re: Jeong-soo Shim
[ Author: Guest: Huang | Posted: May 29, 2004 8:06 AM ]

Outfielder Jeong-su Shim is hitting .288 with 9 home runs and 33 RBIs with the Hyundai Unicorns, if my Korean is right. Last season, Shim hit a whopping .335 with 53 home runs and 142 RBIs.

If Shim wants to go to the Major Leagues, he'll probably have to play in Japan first to prove himself. With Lee Seung-yeop struggling with the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan, Major League teams are probably still skeptical of baseball players from the Korean Baseball Organization.

[Corrected team from Chunichi to Lotte. I think the poster was thinking of Lee Jon-Baum a number of years ago for the team.]
Re: Jeong-soo shim
[ Author: Guest: B.J. Ahn | Posted: Jun 6, 2004 11:31 AM ]

Due to knee injury, he was sent to the farm team on May 28.

Speaking of big league material, Shim is a better candidate than Lee. Both have power and accuracy. But Shim is a good defensive right fielder while Lee is a mediocre first baseman. Shim's throwing arm is considered to be one of the best in KBO. A more important factor is, as Robert Whiting has put it in his recent book, Shim has a "gung-ho attitude." But, first of all, Shim should stay physically healthy if he is to go overseas to play in any higher league.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.