Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Question for Korean speakers on KBO site

Discussion in the KBO News forum
Question for Korean speakers on KBO site
Can someone tell me what these baseball words mean?

사구
타수
타석
타율

I had assumed that 안타 meant hits, 타수 mean at-bats, 타율 meant batting average, and 타석 meant plate appearances. But when I divide 안타 by 타수, it did not equal 타율 for most players (it was usually somewhat higher than 타율), i.e.,

(안타/타수) > 타율.

If you can tell me what the stats mean for the entire page, and how batting average is calculated in Korea, that would be great.

p.s. there is no direct link to the site, but it can be found on http://www.koreabaseball.or.kr/, and click on records and positiong player records.
Comments
Re: Question for Korean speakers on KBO site
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Nov 26, 2006 10:34 AM | YOK Fan ]

I've checked out the KBO site and some of their calculations for batting average and ERA are off slightly.

사구 means dead ball or hit by pitch.
[ Author: NelsonChung | Posted: Nov 27, 2006 10:27 AM | NIP Fan ]

Thanks Joe.
[ Author: Guest: Gene R. Newman | Posted: Jan 26, 2007 10:21 AM ]

This is very late, but I'm new getting on this forum.

I have fluency in Japanese and Mandarin, but not Korean; However, I do have a Korean box score that has been annotated by a friend with translations of most entries.

Anyone who is interested, please send me a stamped, pre-addressed envelope and I'll send a copy to you:

Gene Newman
608 Wilderness Road
Pelham, AL 35124
[ Author: Guest: NelsonChung | Posted: Feb 7, 2007 5:50 AM ]

Box score of just one game?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.