Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

KBO: Kia Tigers Sign Mike Cervenak

Discussion in the KBO News forum
KBO: Kia Tigers Sign Mike Cervenak
The Kia Tigers have signed 29 year old third baseman Mike Cervenak to a contract. The right handed hitter batted .312 with 19 home runs and 103 RBIs for the Fresno Grizzlies of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League.

Cervenak started his professional career with the Chillicothe Paints of the independent Frontier League before being signed by a Major League organization.
Comments
Re: KBO: Kia Tigers Sign Mike Cervenak
[ Author: Guest: GM | Posted: Jan 30, 2006 8:56 AM ]

The Giants will be sorry for not bringing him up. I have seen this kid play and he is the real deal!
[ Author: Guest: Eric and Frank | Posted: Jan 30, 2006 9:55 PM ]

Good Luck Mike. We know you've got it! Glad you made the move. Now kick some a**!
[ Author: Guest: Ashley | Posted: Mar 16, 2006 10:25 PM ]

Yes he is. He's the best there is.
[ Author: Guest: Woody | Posted: Feb 7, 2006 12:45 AM ]

The Kia Tigers got a heck-of-a pick up with Cervenak. This guy has slipped through the cracks of the SF Giants organization and the Tigers are know reaping the benefits. I have played ball with Mike and the things that he is capable of are exciting to watch on a daily basis. Good Luck to Mike and Congrats to the Kia Tigers for a great pick up.
[ Author: Guest: Yamarith | Posted: Feb 12, 2006 5:30 AM ]

Good luck! I wish you the best on this team. Show them that you are the best!

I hope you come back to Venezuela and play again with "los Leones del Caracas." Leo leo leo leon!
[ Author: Guest: Paula | Posted: Feb 15, 2006 2:47 AM ]

I also am a friend of Mike's. I guess I won't be making any peirogies any time soon for him, but I want him to know that Todd and I will follow his stats where ever he goes. Congratulations to the SF Giants for another blunder.
[ Author: Guest: Sam Black | Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:41 AM ]

This wouldn't be the famous chillicothe paint Woods would it?
[ Author: Guest: Sam Black | Posted: Jun 17, 2006 3:51 AM ]

Is this Eddie Woods?
OT: Contact
[ Author: Guest: ewoods | Posted: Dec 4, 2006 11:33 AM ]

Sam Black,

If you ever get on this site again here is my e-mail: tree3008 atMark aol d0t com. This is your boy, Eddie Woods in Knoxvegas, TN.

I just stumbled across this website checking out Mike's progress, but that wasn't me on-line when you were here.

Peace.
Greisinger Contract?
[ Author: Guest: Edward | Posted: Feb 8, 2006 6:27 AM ]

Does anyone know how much his contract is worth?
[ Author: Guest: Paula | Posted: Feb 15, 2006 2:50 AM ]

I am so glad for Mike. He certainly deserves to be recognized as the player he is. Another Blunder by the Giants. They had him in their organization for 3 years and nevr gave him a chance. I'll miss cooking for him when he comes to Portland, but our thoughts and prayers are with him where ever he goes.
[ Author: Guest: Goldschlager | Posted: Feb 15, 2006 10:49 PM ]

Good Luck, Mike! I miss seeing you play! Keep me posted on how you're doing through e-mail. It would be great to hear from you.
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:03 PM | YOK Fan ]

Cervenak will make $200,000 this season.
[ Author: Guest: Goldschlager | Posted: Mar 31, 2006 12:59 PM ]

My e-mail address is my first initial, then MV then my last initial, then 16@aol.com
[ Author: Guest: Adriana | Posted: Feb 26, 2006 5:29 AM ]

I fell in love with Mike when I saw him at the stadium in Caracas playing with the Leones del Caracas. I admire him as well as a really good baseball player and as a great person by his attitude with his companions at the yard. And of course, by being so cute as he is.

My best wishes for him and in God I trust that more sooner than later he will be playing with SFG!
[ Author: Guest: GrizzliesGroupie | Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:59 PM ]

I am really disappointed that I won't be seeing Mike in Fresno. I had a minor crush on him - as sad as that is at my age. I was really looking forward to the opener this season so I could gawk at him for a couple hours a week. Since I'm moving to Oregon soon, I was hoping to at least get to cheer for him in Portland.

It's a shame that the Giants couldn't get over their age-ism and recognize the potential staying power this guy had.

I wish all the luck in the world to him. As long as he gets to do the one thing he loves for a living, it shouldn't matter where he does it.
[ Author: Guest: kevin | Posted: Mar 15, 2006 8:15 AM ]

I Just heard that San Francisco screwed up again by not giving this kid who owned A, AA, and AAA pichers a chance. I live in Fresno. Sorry you won't be seeing me this year at any games.

Good luck, Mike Cervenak!

Kevin W.
[ Author: Guest: Ashley | Posted: Mar 16, 2006 10:27 PM ]

I am a very good friend of Mike's and was there at the navagators. He deserves it. Mike, hope you are doing well.
[ Author: Guest: Skylasgram | Posted: Mar 18, 2006 4:46 AM ]

It's a sad day when we lose players like Mike overseas. Our teams need more players like him. We congratulate the Kia Tigers on picking up a player that is dedicated, fan friendly, and an all around really nice guy. We enjoyed watching him play in Norwich and followed his progression on-line once he moved up to Triple A. We wish him luck in his new endeavor and hope to see him back here playing in the States soon.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 30, 2006 5:51 AM ]

There have been many inquires for info on Cervenak here. Here is his Kia player page [in Korean]. There are some photos of Cervenak at the bottom of that page.
[ Author: Guest: Yamarith | Posted: Apr 8, 2006 11:53 AM ]

Hi!! Do u know how is he doing with Kia Tigers?? I saw the pics, but i don´t undestand anything written in korean (jajaja). i would like to have news about his progress... Do u know where to find it??

[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 8, 2006 3:26 PM ]

Here's Cervenak KBO player page with his stats:

Right now he's batting .333(14-42) with a HR and 6 RBI. He has a .364 OBP and a .429 SLG pct.

http://www.koreabaseball.or.kr/record/player.asp?player_id=76632
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 9, 2006 12:50 PM ]

Thanks a LOT!!!
[ Author: Guest: Dan | Posted: Apr 10, 2006 4:01 PM ]

because there seems to be a pretty large following of Cervenak. I created a seperate thread that will try to follow his stats thru the year.

http://kbo.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=146
[ Author: Guest: Rick Cervenak | Posted: May 13, 2006 4:34 AM ]

Good luck Mike. I've been following you since I found out your last name. The Phillies could have used you.

Rick Cervenak
[ Author: Guest: John | Posted: May 26, 2006 8:41 PM ]

Haven't been able to keep track of Mike Cervenak's progress. What's his status?
[ Author: mondejoe | Posted: Jun 15, 2006 8:28 AM | YOK Fan ]

Cervenak's currently struggling with the Tigers. He's batting .227 with 4 home runs and 15 RBIs through 39 games.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 26, 2006 7:47 AM ]

Rumor has it Mike Cervenak was released from the Kia Tigers and he may re-sign with the Giants. Is this true?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jun 26, 2006 8:48 AM | SFT Fan ]

He hasn't played since the 15th of June according to Cervenak's player page (in Korean). He has struggled all year, batting .224/.258/.343 with 4 HRs and 15 RBI. Though so far I haven't seen him on any minor league rosters, so he must still be with Kia.
[ Author: Guest: Dan | Posted: Jun 26, 2006 10:50 AM ]

Yes, it is true, per Mike's agent who contacted me via e-mail.

http://kbo.hyperboards.com
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jun 26, 2006 12:04 PM ]

- Rumor has it Mike Cervenak was released from the Kia Tigers and he may re-sign with the Giants. Is this true?

Yes, it is indeed true! I was informed by Mike's dad that he will be rejoining the Giants' Fresno AAA club this week vs. Sacramento!
[ Author: Guest: Y | Posted: Jul 3, 2006 10:04 AM ]

I am really happy with this news. Mike deserves the best because he has worked very hard to have it.

Does anybody know if he is coming to play in Venezuela this season?
[ Author: Guest: Sam Black | Posted: Jun 15, 2006 7:52 AM ]

I played with Cervy in the Frontier League and the kid is a young 29. He's got the skills to be at The Show and most of the sub-200 average shortstops and third basemen couldn't hold his jock. It is really disheartening to players in the minor leagues to see a guy be so successful in every level and still not get a chance. Just make sure you finish school kids.

I know Cervy wishes that he would have gone pro when he was drafted the first time now. Not a lot of guys love the game enough to follow it and put their life on hold as long as Cervy has, and I am proud to say I know someone that has that kind of love for the game.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.