Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Iriki to Korea

Discussion in the KBO News forum
Iriki to Korea
It was reported in yesterday's Daily Yomiuri and the Korea Times that the elder Iriki (Satoshi) signed with the Doosan Bears in Korea.

That made me think: are there many Japanese players in the KBO? And would a Japanese baseball player who had been given a pink slip, or who realised that he was good, but not good enough to make it in NPB, find it more attractive to play in a professional league in Korea or Taiwan than to play in the corporate league in Japan?

Naturally there would be the language and cultural matters to consider (as have been discussed in the threads, such as here and here), but on the other hand, the KBO is a professional league as opposed to the corporate leagues. I suppose there are also monetary concerns: Iriki's one-year contract is worth $150,000.

Does anyone know of other Japanese players in the KBO? And whadaya reckon? Has Iriki done the right thing?
Comments
Re: Iriki to Korea
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 26, 2002 5:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

While I'm sure there are more, I seem to recall Yokohama's Kohiyama playing in Taiwan last season (2002).

Is it a good thing? I certainly can't say that it's bad. Those players that go over seas, whether it be North America, South Americ, or Asia, will be learning another culture through baseball. Considering that each culture adapts the game in different ways, a good blend of view points to the game could very well come in handy should the player go into management in the future. I can't think of anything negative about Iriki's trip to Korea.

Hey, perhaps we'll see him pitch against Japan next fall for the lesser known Japan-Korea All Star Series held every other year.

Gambare Iriki.
[ Author: Dusanh | Posted: Dec 27, 2002 4:22 AM ]

Do the corporate leagues even allow former pro players to join? I thought the amateur leagues are strictly amateur. Of course this only matters back when professional players are not allowed in major international tournaments. The rules might have changed now.
Pros in the Industrial Leagues
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 27, 2002 8:26 AM | YBS Fan ]

Actually, with permission from the Commissioners' Office, pros are allowed to join Industrial League teams. It used to be very rare, but it seems that I've read about more players doing so recently. Of course they tend to be players who had spent their whole careers in 2-gun.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Dec 27, 2002 5:39 AM | HAN Fan ]

I think Iriki will be the first Japanese of non-Korean descent to play in the KBO. In the 1980s, NPB stars Jinten Haku (In-chun Pak) and Hisao Niura (both of Korean ancestery) played in the KBO.
Mori Headed to Korean Lotte
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 27, 2002 8:40 AM | YBS Fan ]

In a related story, former Mitsubishi Automotive Okazaki (Industrial League) and Monreal Expo minor league pitcher, Kazuma Mori, is reported in today's (Dec. 27) Nikkan Sports as being expected to sign with Lotte of the Korean league before the end of the year.

While this 27 year old may not be considered a prospect any more, younger Japanese may start to see this as an alternative to the Industrial League route to Pro Yakyu. (My speculation - not in the Nikkan article.)

With more Japanese playing throughout Asia, perhaps the foundation for a Far East League is starting to be laid. That's my hope, anyway.
Far East League
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Dec 27, 2002 9:21 AM | HT Fan ]

- Perhaps the foundation for a Far East League is starting to be laid. That's my hope, anyway.

Well geez, we're all neighbours anyway - it seems like an obvious idea to me. Now that I think about it, there was a previous discussion of this (sort of) here.

I reckon this would be an excellent addition to the season.
Re: Far East League
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 27, 2002 8:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

Actually, going back in time a little farther, this unlikely thread got a lot of ideas out in the open about possibilities. When ever I start ranting about forming a "Pacific Rim" or "Far East" league, these are the ideas I'd like to see come into play.

Now, if only the powers-that-be will find them and start putting them into motion.
International Trade
[ Author: Dusanh | Posted: Dec 27, 2002 9:45 AM ]

Regarding the hope for a Far East League, it seems that the first ever trade between a Japanese team and a Taiwanese team happened this off season. The Daiei Hawks sent a backup catcher (whose name I don't remember) to the China Trust Whales for W. B. Chen (whose name I can't spell). Chen lead the CPBL of Taiwan with 26 homers this season.

Why the Whales gave up its homerun king for a backup catcher is beyond me, but it'll be interesting to see how the level of CPBL measures up against NPB these days. Even though it's harder for Taiwanese/Korean players to get their shots at 1-gun because of the gaijin limit (compared to Japanese).
Japanese Abroad in Asia
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Dec 28, 2002 10:28 AM | HAN Fan ]

Taiwan's Chinese Professional Baseball League has had Japanese managers, coaches, and players since its inception in 1990.

The KBO, until 1998, didn't allow anyone without Korean ancestry to play. Between 1981 and 1997, some Japanese and Americans were allowed to play in the KBO if they had Korean blood.

Taiwanese and Koreans have been involved in NPB since the 1930's, and amateur ball before that.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.