Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Jose Ortiz

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Jose Ortiz
I noticed Jose Ortiz had a nice year slugging wise (though his batting average left something to be desired). Is there any chance an MLB team would take a chance on him this spring? Is anything being said about a return to America? For those who have seen him play, do you think he can be a legitimate MLB 2nd baseman (offensively and defensively speaking)?
Comments
Re: Jose Ortiz
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 16, 2004 8:34 AM | YBS Fan ]

I take it you hadn't noticed that he's on the Orix BlueWave's 2004 roster? That makes an invitation to MLB spring training highly unlikely.

Speaking of the 2004 roster, I've entered all but the new players (drafted and foreign players) for the Pacific League so far. I'll be working on the Central League rosters and new players this week. As usual, you can get to the team rosters by clicking on "Teams" at the top of the page.
Re: Jose Ortiz
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 16, 2004 11:00 AM ]

I would echo what Michael says, but I would add that, unless a team was looking for a backup middle infielder with some power, his 2003 campaign translated to MLB terms isn't overwhelming: approximately a .237 avg, a .283 OPB, though about a .450 slg due to 20 or so HR.

He's 27, so there's a good chance that 2003 is at or very near his peak level of performance -- which basically means he's not what one would call a great prospect in MLB terms. He's much more valuable in Japan, and in terms of his playing career, that's probably where he should stay.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.