Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

How is Linares Performing Now?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
How is Linares Performing Now?
I would like to know how Linares is doing his job now. Can anybody help me?
Comments
Re: How is Linares Performing Now?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 19, 2003 11:12 AM | YBS Fan ]

Well, looking at Chunichi's stats page, I see that he's batting .283 with 4 home runs and 14 RBIs in 22 games. So he's getting playing time, now, compared to the last time this question was asked.

I haven't seen a Chunichi game for quite a while personally, so I can't say anything first hand. If you check the above Chunichi stats page daily, you'll at least be able to compare how he does day to day.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Guest: Mike Todd | Posted: Jul 21, 2003 1:06 PM ]

Linares appears to have lost 15-20 kg since last year, and looks to be in good shape for a 35-year-old. I did not recognize him earlier this season, he looks 10 years younger than he did in '02. He has been hitting some clutch RBIs, too.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jul 22, 2003 1:01 AM | HT Fan ]

Nice HR tonight, too, I see on the TV news. Chunichi seems to have used Linares to cover for Ivan Cruz, who, given his run at Hanshin in 2001, the Dragons were insane to sign.
[ Author: Guest: UMASS | Posted: Jul 23, 2003 2:54 PM ]

He must be in form now. He is being used as a 5th batter in the line-up.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jul 23, 2003 4:32 PM ]

Torakichi-san is right about Chunichi being crazy to sign Ivan Cruz after he did nothing for Hanshin two seasons ago. It's almost, but not quite, as insane as Daiei signing George Wright back in 1993 after he did nothing for them (actually Nankai) back in 1988.

There are numerous examples of teams signing players for inexplicable reasons. One of the best quotes ever was written by Dave Wiggins of the Mainichi Daily News when he talked about Daiei bringing back pitcher Lee Tunnell after he had gone something like 2-9 the year before. Wiggins wrote, "Does Lee Tunnell have compromising pictures of the Daiei team president?"
Linares over Cruz
[ Author: Guest: Paloma | Posted: Aug 12, 2003 6:44 AM ]

Speaking negatively of Ivan Cruz?!?! He has 3 times as many HR's and RBI's as Linares and hasn't played a full game in 2 months!! So if you are going to speak of his hitting skills, then you may want to pick another subject to critisize him about. Why don't you ask why he's not playing? It's all political reasons and has nothing to do with skill. He's healthy, hitting the ball out of the park in practice and during his minor league games. The team has no power and refuses to use Cruz because he won't bow down to the coaches.

Don't you wonder why the press won't ask "why isn't Cruz playing?" He was even on the All-Star ballot because of his popularity! The press folks don't want to lose their jobs because the team owns the newspaper that they report for. So get your facts straight!
Linares?
[ Author: perezma | Posted: Jul 16, 2004 11:31 PM ]

Hi,

I am Cuban and would like to know what is happening with Linares in 2004?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.