Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Borisov's 2003 Pro Yakyu Site?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Borisov's 2003 Pro Yakyu Site?
Has anyone found Sergei Borisov's 2003 Japanese Baseball site? If so, can you post the link?

For the past several years he has put up all of the boxscores and stats in English. It's been a great site in which to follow the Japanese Pro baseball League.

Many thanks for any help you all can provide.

Regards, Henri.
Comments
Re: Borisov's 2003 Pro Yakyu Site?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 6, 2003 8:00 PM | YBS Fan ]

Please see this related thread for an update.
[ Author: Guest: Henri Roca | Posted: Apr 9, 2003 6:57 AM ]

Thanks for the info.

Man, if you could put up the boxes for Pro Yakyu, there wouldn't be any reason to go anywhere else.

What a great site with all kinds of information.

Will come back often.

Regards, Henri
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 8, 2003 9:05 AM | YBS Fan ]

I just got a note from Borisov-san yesterday stating, "I'm not currently publishing to the web and undecided whether and when to resume."

Wish I had better news for you.
[ Author: Guest: Henri Roca | Posted: May 9, 2003 2:23 AM ]

Thanks for the note, Commish.

What bad news! Sergei did a great job in getting the Japanese ball boxscores out. You could actually follow a game batter-by-batter with included "scorecard." Sure hope Sergei has a change of heart as his contribution to all of us Japanse baseball fans will sorely be missed.

Commish, you also put out a great site with all of the print news from Japanese baseball. Combined with Sergei, your efforts are the very best regarding any baseball on the net.

Many thanks.

Regards, Henri.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: May 9, 2003 2:16 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yes, Westbay is doing a great job. It takes a lot of commitment to keep putting out info. Eventually most people have to take a break. Thank you Michael.
It's a Team Effort
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 9, 2003 4:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. Kiyoshi-san has stepped up and started posting daily game reviews and standings. Albright-san has been blessing us with some great studies. Long time regulars like CFiJ, 1908, Seiyu-san, and many others provide a great deal of insight that I can't do on my own. I know I'm forgetting several names (especially those who write annonymously since all I see is "Guest" when I approve messages). It's the community that's formed and continues to contribute that makes this site what it is. A true team effort.

To update you all on what's going on behind the scenes, I'm currently working with Baseball Guru Craig Tomarkin to combine our databases. I've got a lot of recent players' stats, he's got a lot of historical stats.

As you can see from the top page, I'm also experimenting with getting current standings up. Those are most of the fields I enter every day. Not quite box score, or even line score detail, yet. This level of detail takes a little less than 20 minutes a day. Enough information to calculate team BA and ERA takes a bit more - and I'd have a month plus alpha of games to reenter. Individual batter data would take hours each day, and I can't do that, sorry.

Since NPB-BIS let everyone down this year, I'm seriously considering scraping data from TBS and translating it for you all. Of course, I can't do that without notifying them and have a clear concious, so we can all keep our fingers crossed that they don't ask me to take it down as soon as I'm done. Is there an ethical way to solve this problem where there are no non-kanji stats being made available by those who have official connections (and/or can afford them)? I'll keep looking.

Thank you all for your support.
Re: It's a Team Effort
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: May 10, 2003 3:02 AM ]

Yes, it is a team effort, Michael. I appreciate the kind words, but I do sometimes feed off the comments of others, whether here or from e-mails to me directly. However, while I can do my thing in spurts of activity and inactivity as suits my schedule, my fancy, whatever, what you do requires much more grinding it out each and every day. For that, I am grateful, as I would not wish to be tied to such obligations. But if somebody didn't do it, the framework for the community we have wouldn't exist. You and the guru himself, Craig Tomarkin, are key people providing the framework for others like me to add their contributions, too. Without folks like you, folks like me wouldn't have an outlet for what we do.

Surely, we miss a Sergei Borisov and a Gary Garland when they need to back off. Yet, as valuable as their efforts were, they didn't provide the framework that you and Craig do. The thanks you get probably don't match the headaches you get for doing your thing, yet you do it anyway. You have my deepest thanks as a result.

Jim Albright (who was not paid in any way for this).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.