Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Where is Frank Bolick Now?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Where is Frank Bolick Now?
Hello! I am a baseball fan and live in Chiba city. Can somebody kindly tell me where Frank Bolick is now? Did he retire?
Comments
Re: Where is Frank Bolick Now?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 6, 2003 6:51 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, I've Googled around a bit without any luck. And the recent foreigners in Korea and Taiwan threads don't appear to include him either.

I'd recommend checking various independent leagues in the North and South America next.

Wish I could be of more help.
[ Author: Guest: pashmina | Posted: May 1, 2003 12:08 AM ]

My chat friend helped to look for him, we were looking for MLB and minor leagues' website. But he said that he couldn't find him in either MLB or the minor leagues.

I'm also a great fan of him and please tell me what you know about him.
[ Author: Guest: Joe | Posted: Jun 21, 2003 7:03 AM ]

Frank Bolick is back home in Mt. Carmel, Pennsylvania, nursing various injuries he suffered last year in Japan. He told me that he doesn't think that he will return to baseball in Japan or anywhere else, because he realizes that he is missing his children growing up and that his kids need their father.

He's made his money and will live comfortably for the rest of his life, and just wants to go fishing. It's a shame that a player with all his potention is retiring, but I think his love of the game is gone.
[ Author: Guest: Frank Cunningham | Posted: Aug 26, 2003 4:49 AM ]

I agree that he did not get his fair chance, especially in Anaheim. He was on the bench when the Angels played Cecil Fielder who could not hit his weight. Too bad so much has to do with money. Frank was a minimum wage compared to Fielder's million or so.

Frank could be part of a nostalgia question in that he still owes a one game suspension from the fight he was in. I think it was against Cleveland. The shortstop cold cocked Frank from the back. It was better for the guy or Frank would have decked him. That shortstop was sent back to the minors the next day.

It was nice to see Frank selected to the Japanese All Star team as the only American selected by the people of Japan.

With his injuries and a gimpy knee it was best he retire.

I coached Frank his last year at Mt. Carmel Area High School.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Aug 26, 2003 9:03 PM ]

I remember the fight that Mr. Cunningham mentioned well. It was a game in 1997, I believe, between the KC Royals and the Anaheim Angels. During a fracas between the two teams, Royals' shortstop Felix Martinez snuck up behind Bolick and threw a sucker punch at the back of Bolick's head. Upon seeing that, something like 3 or 4 Angels descended upon Martinez like birds on prey and totally flattened him (it was reminiscent of the time a group of Royals came out of the dugout en masse and flattened the two idiots who jumped on Royals' coach, Tom Gamboa, last season).

As Mr. Cunningham mentioned, the Royals promptly sent Martinez down to AA the next day, and he wouldn't return to the majors for something like 3 years, when he temporarily returned to the majors with the Devil Rays in 2000 or 2001.

I was a Frank Bolick fan when he played here in Japan. He looked like a smaller version of Jack Howell and played just as hard and almost as well as Howell did when Howell played for the Swallows.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.