Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Koji Akiyama

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Koji Akiyama
Has Outfielder KOJI AKIYAMA retired from playing?

Scott Boa
scottboa at canada com
Comments
Re: Koji Akiyama
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 1, 2003 5:42 PM | YBS Fan ]

Akiyama, as mentioned here, was one of the retirees at the end of the 2002 season.

Unlike most players, he actually had two sayonara games. The first one had him with his daughter thanking the Fukuoka fans after the Hawks' final home game (I think it was). Then, after playing his former team at Seibu Dome, the home team took their turn at throwing the former Lion into the air.

A member of the 2,000 Hit Club, and having been a key member of the Lions' Golden Age and Daiei's two recent pennents, Akiyama is a sure future Hall of Famer. I never tire of watching his back flips onto home plate after a home run. He knew how to both play the game and entertain the crowd.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.