Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

How do you Pronouce Matsui ?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
How do you Pronouce Matsui ?
Is it Mat-su-ee or Mat-su ?

I'm a Yankee fan and I'm not sure how to pronouce it.
Please help.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: How do you Pronouce Matsui?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 5, 2002 9:01 AM | YBS Fan ]

Well, first of all, Japanese generally gets broken up with each Hiragana (a pronunciation alphabet) character ending in a vowel. So Matsui would be Ma-tsu-i.

Once broken up, follow the vowel guide that I found here with a quick Google search:
  • a as in f(a)ther
  • i as in macaron(i)
  • u as in p(u)t or b(ook)
  • e as in g(e)t
  • o as in p(o)lo
Notice that the order of the vowels is different as well? That's because this is the order they come in Japanese. And unlike English, these are all of the vowel phenoms.

If the subject interests you, I'd recommend clicking on some of the links from the above Google search. Written Japanese is a fascinating subject on its own.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.