Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

The State of Japanese Baseball, Revisited

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
The State of Japanese Baseball, Revisited
We've had some informative discussions on this forum regarding the "Ichiro effect." In the wake of both Matsui and Nakamura leaving NPB to play in MLB, I was wondering where people stand. I, for one, am concerned about the future of Japanese baseball. Hideki and Nori both signed for less than they could've gotten in Japan and they represent the best non-gaijin hitters over the past three seasons in terms of OPS.

After 2003, Tadahito Iguchi will be posted, Kazuo Matsui will likely leave, and free-agent-to-be Hiroki Kokubo may go as well. Kenji Johjima and Akinori Iwamura have both expressed an interest in playing in North America and I'm wondering if players like Kosuke Fukudome and Michihiro Ogasawara will be far behind.
Comments
Re: The State of Japanese Baseball, Revisited
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 21, 2002 11:10 AM | HT Fan ]

Looks like I jumped the gun. Nori deciding to stay with Kintetsu has assuaged many of my concerns.
Re: The State of Japanese Baseball, Revisited
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 21, 2002 1:47 PM ]

I don't know that I have much to add to what I've already said. The real question is how does the fan base in Japan react to losing these home grown stars? I'm sure they will accept some of this, but how much? Right now, an all-Japanese NPB all-star team would likely steamroll its way to a pennant if it played in the majors. Will that be true a few years from now? I simply don't know the answers, but I do believe you are right to feel concern. I don't think disaster is imminent, though.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.