Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shinjo as DH

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Shinjo as DH
Hmmm...Shinjo started in the number 9th spot for the SF Giants as a DH. Of course, he gets a lot of credit for being the first Japanese to play in the World Series, but I just thought that the SF Giants must have an extremely, extremely great outfield to have used Shinjo as DH rather than have him out on the field....
Comments
Re: Shinjo as DH
[ Author: Guest: Yuri Kono | Posted: Oct 22, 2002 4:06 AM ]

Shinjo has had hamstring problems since the summer. This has obviously hurt his speed and outfield play. The Giants got Kenny Lofton to take Shinjo's spot in the outfield.
[ Author: Guest: Brent | Posted: Nov 5, 2002 11:24 PM ]

Despite the injury, I think Shinjo was still the better outfielder. Lofton, in fact, had also suffered a hamstring injury early in the season. The consensus was that Lofton, who is a notorious cry-baby, may have demanded that the manager play him in the field, or perhaps the manager just let him play in the field out of respect. This often happens in the majors - for example Giambi is not as good a first baseman as Nick Johnson but he played most of the games at first for whatever reason.
[ Author: Guest: Sharks410 | Posted: Nov 25, 2002 4:17 PM ]

Get real? Shinjo a better outfielder than Lofton. I suffered through a year of Shinjo, excellent fielder, but horrible at the plate. His on base and batting percentage are laughable. If you watched the San Francisco Giants in the playoffs, there is no way you would make this statement. Shinjo's swing is too long and he is looking to hit the long ball when he should just try to slap the ball around like Ichiro. He is also too impatient for a leadoff hitter. Lofton, although a liability in the field, has more patience and his on base and batting average are a lot better than Shinjo. Thus ... the SF Giants released Shinjo about a week ago.
[ Author: Dusanh | Posted: Nov 26, 2002 5:18 AM ]

Uh...
Nobody here was saying Shinjo's a better all-around player, just a better "outfielder."
[ Author: Guest: Brent | Posted: Nov 26, 2002 3:25 PM ]

Great Point. Thanks for explaining why Shinjo was DHed.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.