Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Central League Foreigners

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Central League Foreigners
If you are a GM for any of the Central or Pacific League teams, what foreigners would you sign this off-season that are already in Japan? I'm not sure how free agency works, but I'm sure it differs with teams. Also, I'm not sure who is under multi-year contracts. Since I am a Central League fan, I will list some of the Central League players I think will have a shot to be back next year, but not sure with who.

Andy Sheets, Jeff Williams, Tyrone Woods, Alex Ochoa, Luis Martinez (LHP for Dragons), Mark Kroon, Cedrick Bowers, Mike Holtz, Alex Ramirez, Rick Gutormson, Adam Riggs, Brian Sikorsky, Tuffy Rhodes, Greg LaRocca, John Bale, Tom Davey, Ken Rayborn, and Mike Romano.
Comments
Re: Central League Foreigners
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 29, 2005 11:31 PM ]

Sign:

Marc Kroon, Brian Sikorski, Greg LaRocca (option year for 2006), John Bale, Tom Davey, Kenny Rayborn, Luis Martinez, Cedrick Bowers.

Not re-sign:

Adam Riggs, Tuffy Rhodes, Mike Romano, Mike Holtz, Rick Guttormson

Tyrone Woods will be in the second year of his 2 year contract next year, Jeff Williams will be in his second year of his 2 year contract, Andy Sheets will be in his 2nd year of his 2 year contract, and I'm not so sure on Ochoa's contract status (I'd bring Ochoa back for sure in 2006)?
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Aug 30, 2005 8:50 AM | YAK Fan ]

- Not re-sign: [...] Adam Riggs, Tuffy Rhodes, Mike Romano, Mike Holtz, Rick Guttormson [...]

Yakult has already stated that they intend to keep all of their foreigners from this year, as well as possibly looking to sign one more. While I admit I didn't really think Adam Riggs was a good signing at first, he's really exploded the second half of the season, hitting .357 in June and .326 in August. He had a string of, I think, 8 hits in a row earlier this month.

Guttormson isn't all that bad, he's had a few bad games, but who doesn't? Despite his high ERA, he still has a winning record of 6-5, and would probably have an even higher win total if he got just a little bit more run support in a few of those games he pitched against the Dragons.
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: Aug 30, 2005 11:15 AM | CD Fan ]

I'd like to see us pick up Bowers next season.

There is one name you forgot to mention: Domingo! Ship him out, sell him to KC. Tell him to go!
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Aug 30, 2005 11:18 AM | TYS Fan ]

- Not re-sign: [...] Adam Riggs [...]

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Riggs. Since he's had a regular place on the team he's been doing great, batting over .300 and hitting home runs at key moments (the game winning HR in the 9th inning at Koshien springs to mind).

And remember, Wakamatsu-kantoku played him out of position in right field in the beginning, where he looked distinctly uncomfortable, and it didn't help him with the adjustment to playing in Japan one bit. Now that he's replaced Suzuki Ken at first he's been great with the bat and glove.

Riggs said in a recent hero interview that Alex Ramirez has taken him under his wing and this shows. He really looks like part of the team - he's the first person out of the dug out to congratulate a team mate and the first person to go over to the mound to offer a struggling pitcher a word of encouragement.

Providing he keeps producing until the end of the season, and providing we don't have anything better coming in (and let's face it, since Petagine and Ramirez the foreign position players picked up by Yakult have been terrible - Billy Martin, Betts, etc.) we should re-sign him.

And if it comes down to a choice between Riggs and Suzuki at first, I'll pick Riggs every time.
[ Author: buymeabeer | Posted: Aug 30, 2005 1:54 PM | CLM Fan ]

I'm one of them who says they should re-sign Rhodes, but he should go to another team. He hates the Giants, as well he should. I think that if he came back to the Buffaloes, he would be welcomed with open arms, and his average would shoot back up. He's got so many good years under his belt and if his MRI turns up OK, he should definitely keep playing here, just under another team.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 30, 2005 9:00 PM ]

At first, I didn't know Riggs replaced Ken Suzuki at first, and was doing such a great job at first base.

However, it looks like Riggs is doing great and I would definetly re-sign him. I'd choose him over Ken Suzuki any day, too.

As for Guttormson, I'm just not convinced with him.

Tuffy Rhodes' attitude this year has put him out of favor with me somewhat, and if I were an owner/GM, I'd wait for his MRI before doing anything. Though I think Orix would be the perfect place for Rhodes (Rhodes had great numbers there, was a fan favorite there, and should do fine if he returns, in my opinion, granted his MRI is favorable). Also, Rakuten could be another good team for Rhodes in my opinion, it would give them the star player they need.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 7:18 AM ]

I wouldn't be too concerned about Rhodes's MRI as it is his right shoulder. A move to either Orix or Rakuten would be great for him.
[ Author: curious | Posted: Sep 2, 2005 4:49 AM ]

- I'm not so sure on Ochoa's contract status (I'd bring Ochoa back for sure in 2006)?

I heard Ochoa will be back in 2006 to finish out his second year on his two year contract with Chunichi. Pretty sure that information is accurate, and yes, I'd bring him back for sure, too.
[ Author: Guest: central fan | Posted: Sep 5, 2005 1:07 AM ]

I will play GM for each team.

Tigers - Sheets, Williams, bring Spencer back and give him a chance to play. With the fourth spot, sign a starting pitcher. Sheets and Williams are very solid with Spencer having a lot of potential, and after a year here I think he will fare well.

Dragons - Woods, Ochoa, Martinez. They could defenitely use another starting pitcher, preferably a pitcher that has had success in Japan. If Domoingo is healthy, get your money out of him, but who knows with a bad shoulder?

Swallows - Ramirez, Riggs, Guttormson. I think this team could use another bat in the lineup, maybe put Riggs at second and bring in another first baseman. All three guys deserve to be back, and I think Guttormson will fare better next year. He has a great fastball.

BayStars - Kroon, Holtz, and I have read in the paper that they intend on bring infielder Witt back and letting Saeki go. I think this would be a great move. Given the chance to play every day, Witt should put up over 30 HRs and 100 RBIs. Other than that, I would bring in another starting pitcher. Maybe Cedrick can catch on somewhere else in the league. Doesnt seem like a good fit here.

Giants - Sikorsky. Let's face it, he's done well and they need a lot of help. Maybe another bat, a closer, and a starter. They haven't been very successfull, so maybe they should bring some guys that have done well in Japan instead of overpaid, overrated major league guys. Wow, have they wasted a lot of money this year?

Carp - Bale, LaRocca, Rayborn. The Carp may have the best overall group of foreign players, and are inexpensive for the most part, unlike the Giants. Maybe the Giants should hire the Carp scout. Other than that, I think Romano and Davey can catch on with another team. I read in the paper that Davey is a free agent and would like to possibly go to another team, so I can't see the Carp being able to pay what another team would. As for Romano, it's unfortunate that his season is possibly over after having to head back to the States after his home was damaged by the hurricane, but he had a nice year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.