Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bad Luck Continues for the Carp

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Bad Luck Continues for the Carp
It seems Carp pitcher Mike Romano has been pitching with a fractured pinky finger on his throwing hand. He is a tough country boy though, and has not missed any time directly due to that injury.

Right handed pitcher Tom Davey has been doing quite well dispite battling the usual problems related to coming off shoulder surgery about a year ago.

Now, the Carp have lost one of the the better gaijin hitters in Japan , second baseman Greg LaRocca, to a broken right thumb.

The Carp rely on their core of strong foreign players to offset their lack of native talent. It's a good thing that they still have a healthy John Bale and newly added (and thus far successful) Kenny Rayborn. I doubt that it makes much difference, though. The Carp need to add at least 3 or 4 very solid Japanese pitchers and a real shortstop to really have a chance at all.

Go Carp!

[Moved from Nichi-Bei forum. Not sure how it got there.]
Comments
Re: Bad Luck Continues for the Carp
[ Author: Guest: Mooch | Posted: Aug 18, 2005 1:58 PM ]

The Carp's Bad Luck is their very stingy management not willing to spend money on their team. It is sad that a team depends solely on foreign players, and Arai. Spend just a little more money and the team will be way better.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Aug 18, 2005 10:54 PM ]

Essentially a small market franchise and can't compete financially with the larger teams. Ever been to Hiroshima Stadium on a weeknight? Apart from the gaiya, it's virtually empty! They play at the worst pro stadium I've ever been to, it's a dump. Not exactly enticing for fans. Even Matsuyama and Kurashiki boast better ball parks.

Shame really as it's one of the best located stadiums in Japan, smack-bang downtonwn, and they have killer udon to boot!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 24, 2005 8:23 PM ]

It really is a sad state in Hiroshima. The stadium, the manager, everything is bad. They have a few decent core Japanese players that have bright futures such as Arai, Kurihara, Otake, and Kuroda, but the Carp are too old. Sasaoka and Takahashi, as well as Nomura, are near or should be near retirement, and you have guys like Maeda and Ogata that are close to the ends of their career even though they are still playing good baseball.

From what it looks like, they are not very deep in their minor leagues. They can't even throw 4 quality Japanese starters out there, and because of that they have been rotating 3 foreign pitchers in the rotation. From the looks of it, these guys have been throwing the ball really well. Rayborn has been effective in his few games, Davey has been outstanding coming off shoulder surgery but has missed some time. And Romano has been solid, although I think he was more effective out of the pen.

The Carp need to make some major changes in the off-season starting with the coaching staff. They need to clean house and bring a new voice in to hear for the players. They need to get rid of a lot of dead weight with the older players and their contracts. Sign some good young Japanese talent and develop it. Sign back Bale, Davey, and Rayborn and go out and get a quality American or Latin American shortstop, because it's obvious that this is their worst position. I think they have used 8 guys there this year and none of them have been effective. Ogata has hit well, but has made many errors. They have lost a lot of games because of this positon. I bet they wish they had Sheets' production as well as his steady defense there. They would probably be a .500 team with him.

LaRocca has been dissapointing with injuries and poor defense and baserunning. I don't believe the Carp can afford to bring him back.
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Aug 25, 2005 9:58 AM ]

Greg La Rocca has had just 234 ABs this season thus far, which is less than half of a normal full 500 AB season. Still, Greg has managed 51 RBI, 17 HR, and a .325 batting average. Not a real drop off at all compared with his monster 2004 season (when averaged out as a full year). No doubt the guy can hit if his body will cooperate. Certainly his fielding and baserunning have been affected by his troublesome hamstring. Let's hope he can recover fully and have healthy and productive 2006 campaign for the Carp.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 25, 2005 10:38 PM ]

- I don't believe the Carp can afford to bring him back.

As mentioned already, LaRocca is hitting when healthy. LaRocca has a .325 Avg, .594 SLG, .391 OBP, and a .985 OPS.

I don't think the Carp can afford not to have him. In a healthy year I think he will be fine. I'd bring him back for his 2006 option. Like I said, if I were the Carp I couldn't afford not to bring him back. I'd drop Romano instead of LaRocca in a heartbeat. [Carp 2005 Stats - Borisov's Pro Yakyu]
[ Author: Guest: Kun | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 8:23 AM ]

They really need pitching as well. I would try to keep both. And also, they need a new stadium! It is sad to say that I seen better stadiums for college teams than what the Carp has, even though it is the easiest stadium to get to in the whole league. It looks like somebody's backyard with painted fences. I feel bad for the fans, which in my mind are the best in the league, even though I'm a die hard Tigers fan, because they have to sit in that dumpster!

Anyway, it all comes down to money and the city doesn't believe in the team. About two years ago I had the chance to speak with the owner, through a friend of mine, and I asked him about the stadium. The answer he gave me was "This city doesn't believe on my team." And then we started talking about a time he went to America.

My point is, it is all about money, not bad luck.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 1:29 PM | CLM Fan ]

Doesn't the city of Hiroshima own the Carp?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 4:00 PM ]

The Carp are owned by the Matsuda family, the same family that owns Mazda. The Carp are completely seperate from Mazda though.
OT: Souveniers?
[ Author: Guest: Rob Carpenter | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 8:45 AM ]

I just came upon this site and maybe some of you can help me. I am trying to get Carp souveniers, but I live in the US and the team won't take international orders. Do any of you Carp fans know how I can obtain some of the souviner items they have on the Carp website? I am hoping to visit Japan next year and go to a game. Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
LaRocca's Value
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 8:48 PM ]

Do you really think LaRocca is worth over a million dollars for next year seeing his health issues? Sure, he can put up great numbers if healthy, but I'd rather have a guy I know is going to play every day and be productive both offensivle and defensively.

I have been really impressed with Rayborn in his breif time here. Bale has been great, and Romano has been throwing better of late. Davey also has had a nice season. Where has he been? I haven't seen him pitch in a while?

I tell ya', for as bad as the Carp are, they probably have the most productive group of foreign players.
Re: LaRocca's Value
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 8:11 AM ]

- Sure, he can put up great numbers if healthy, but I'd rather have a guy I know is going to play every day and be productive both offensivle and defensively.

Well we don't know what to expect from LaRocca. He played a full year last year, I think he will next year. Furthermore, I don't see Romano as the Carp's answer regardless of how good he might have pitched of late. Neither is LaRocca, but he is too important not to bring back.

I'm confident in LaRocca, I'm not in Romano. I wasn't at the beginning of the year and aren't now. He is the one I would not re-sign.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 8:42 PM ]

I would guess that the Carp would bring Rayborn back, as well as pick up Bale's option. As for picking up, it's tough. Will the Carp pay two foreigners over $1 million each? They haven't done it before, and from the looks of it, they are not trying to win. Other than that, I doubt they bring back Davey or Romano. Look for LaRocca and Davey with other teams in Japan next year would be my guess. As for Romano, I don't think he will be back in Japan next year.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 28, 2005 3:29 AM | CLM Fan ]

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyojin pick up LaRocca.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 28, 2005 3:21 PM ]

I think LaRocca is a better fit for the Pacific League at DH. He is not very good defensively.
[ Author: Guest: Erik Schullstrom | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 5:05 AM ]

Speaking of bad luck, Carp pitcher Mike Romano will fly back to the USA to take care of his family. His wife, Marie, and two young children fled their home near New Orleans to escape Hurricane Katrina. Their home is totally submerged under water and has been basically destroyed. His immediate family seem to be safe, but they have lost everything. Our thoughts are with them.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 31, 2005 8:31 AM ]

My best wishes are also with Romano and his family after the devastating Hurricane Katrina.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 5, 2005 1:09 AM ]

Will Romano return this season? Do you think the Carp will bring him back?

Looks like LaRocca should have stayed on the DL. He has hit OK in the last two games, but he is terrible in the field, committing 2 errors and making 2 other mistakes that weren't errors.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.