Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Central Division Race

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Central Division Race
Well, after the series at Chunichi, nothing changed.

The things I viewed from the past two months are this:

Hanshin should be winning the division by 10 games right now. Their pitching is better, their lineup is more balanced, and they have a great bullpen. They seem to play down to the level of competition (or up). I don't know why they aren't cleaning up against the bottom 3 more. Maybe they will kick it up in September, but right now Chunichi is in a dangerous position (1.5 back with 4 games to make up).

I don't know which Chunichi pitching staff is going to show up - Kawakami has been more effective lately, but this season he's thrown in a couple of stinkers. Our bullpen has been good, but I think there has been too much mileage. The offense hasn't been bad, and Tyrone has been huge. (.317, 30 home runs). If Chunichi wins and he keeps putting up these numbers, he's the CL MVP.

Hanshin needs to start sweeping Yomiuri and Hiroshima.
Comments
Re: Central Division Race
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 13, 2005 10:44 AM ]

Though Kanemoto for Hanshin has been a little better than Woods this year in my opinion, Kanemoto (.328 avg., 27 HR, 88 RBI, 133 hits, 31 2Bs, 1.044 OPS, 71BB/58K's) [Hanshin Stats], Woods also has a great year (.316 avg., 30 HR, 77 RBI, 109 hits, 9 2Bs, 1.010 OPS, 48BB/99K's) [Chunichi Stats].

It's been close, but I'm would choose Kanemoto for CL MVP.

[Stats from Borisov's Pro Yakyu]
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: Aug 14, 2005 3:57 AM | CD Fan ]

You're probably right on Kanemoto, John. I'm just basing it on the fact that Woods was awful at the start of the season. I think he was still around .240 at the end of May and Chunichi dropped 8 out of 10 when he was out of the lineup.

As for the actual award, it will probably go to Kanemoto based on numbers and (sorry to bring this up again) the fight.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: Aug 13, 2005 3:57 PM | HT Fan ]

- Hanshin needs to start sweeping Yomiuri and Hiroshima.

That about sums it up from a Tigers perspective.

For the Dragons, if they continue to score consistently (which they couldn't over the first half of the season) they'll be in it at the end.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 8:52 PM ]

What about the Carp? I think they still have a chance of catching the Tigers. They just won 2 out of three from the Tigers.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 26, 2005 11:03 PM | CLM Fan ]

Are you looking at standings from the 1980s?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 8:14 AM ]

- What about the Carp? I think they still have a chance of catching the Tigers. They just won 2 out of three from the Tigers.

There is no way the Carp will catch the Tigers. They're currently in last place. The Carp have a 46-64-3 record. [Central League Standings - Borisov's Pro Yakyu]
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Aug 27, 2005 10:43 PM | TYS Fan ]

I think you all may need to switch on your sarcasm detectors.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 28, 2005 3:27 AM | CLM Fan ]

Sarcasm is easily lost on the Internet, and especially on a mostly serious forum like this one.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Aug 28, 2005 10:39 AM | HT Fan ]

- Sarcasm is easily lost on the Internet [...]

Especially when one fails to use a smiley or some other devices to clarify the nature of the comment. Perhaps it wasn't sarcasm at all.
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Aug 28, 2005 3:10 PM | TYS Fan ]

- Perhaps it wasn't sarcasm at all.

The only reason I mentioned it was that no one could possibly say the Carp still has a shot at the pennant and be serious at the same time.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.