Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pacific League Race

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Pacific League Race
After playing second fiddle to the Marines for basically the entire season, the Hawks have finally caught up to them and taken sole possession of first place in the Pacific League. Very few people here (if any) are talking about how good a race this can be as we head into the second half of the season.

Who is your pick for the #1 spot of the playoffs? The Hawks have been the power in the PL for a while now, but the Marines have the look of a serious contender.
Comments
Re: Pacific League Race
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 30, 2005 4:45 PM ]

I would still say it's too early to tell the #1 team in the PL. Though, I would have to say it would be either Softbank or Chiba.

Chiba's pitching has been way too good not to compete for the top spot this year. Watanabe, Kubo, and Kobayashi all come to mind quickly. Also, Chiba has hit well this year: Kosaka, Nishioka, Agbayani, and many others have all been great this year.

Seung-yeop Lee is having a great second year in the NPB (as it looks like he's adjusted to the change) and 2nd-year foreign player Matt Franco has been great this year also. Valentine's managing is helping, too, as he's truly a great manager and baseball person in general.

Softbank, on the other hand, has been red-hot lately, as they have won their last 10 games. Johijma and Matsunaka have hit like expected. Free agent acquistion Ohmura is also looking good in his first year with Softbank, after spending his career with Kintestu. Also their pitching is starting to look very good, expectly Sugiuchi.

Softbank Hawks' owner Masayoshi Son's vision for Softbank this previous off-season is looking like it's working well this year. The off-season acquistions of Batista and Jolbert Cabrera have been good so far.

With this said I'm looking forward to the second half, as I think it will be an exciting one, as Softbank and Chiba look to fight it out for first place the rest of the year.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Jul 2, 2005 12:06 AM | FSH Fan ]

It's very much a two-horse race at this point, with only Softbank and Chiba being above .500 and the PL. The last few pennant chases in the PL have proven to be more exciting then the CL chases, although both may potentially be decided on the very last day.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 3, 2005 2:21 PM ]

I'm watching the Hawks' game live right now on the Internet, early in the morning in the Eastern United States (1:00 AM, June 3rd), and the Hawks are off to a great start. Back-to-back-to-back home runs by Matsunaka, Johijma, and Zuleta off Orix pitcher Masato Yoshii.

It continues to be an interesting PL race, and will continue to be an interesting 1-2 PL race for the rest of the season between Softbank and Chiba.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 4, 2005 3:28 PM | SL Fan ]

It's crazy, but the 1-2 race for first place (and all playoff games at home), and the race for the last playoff spot (despite the three teams being 19 games removed from first place - they are packed together at 0.5 games separating the three) are both exciting races.

Whether the third place team even deserves a spot in the playoffs with a sub-500 record is another debate.

And to think that only 14 games separate the entire Central League! What a crazy year, but the races do look more interesting in the PL (but then again I'm a PL fan, so it's biased :P ).
[ Author: himself | Posted: Aug 10, 2005 1:04 AM | FSH Fan ]

Meanwhile, it still looks like two teams and a bag of beans over in the Pacific League. Buffaloes hold the third spot for now, but they're clearly behind Lotte and Softbank. [PL Standings - Borisov's Pro Yakyu]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.