Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ishii Wants to be Posted - Again

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Ishii Wants to be Posted - Again
Yakult's ace left hander, Ishii Kazuhisa, turned down a 5 year 10-oku yen offer and is now saying that he would like to play in the Majors next season.

As many of you know, this all started last off season. When team mate Kawasaki was let go as a free agent to Chunichi without much attempt to keep him, Ishii was very critical of Yakult's front office and stated that he wanted to be posted at the end of the season.

Well, Yakult went on to win the pennant and the Nihon Series. In October, Matsuen-owner had even OK-ed Ishii's request to be posted. However, with a winning year, combined with the WTC incident, Ishii started having second thoughts, and said that there was a chance that he would remain. The next month, after a family meeting to discuss a move to the Majors, Ishii seemed to have decided that it was best to stay put for the time being, "but playing in the Majors is a long time dream."

On a TV broudcast last Friday (12/21), Ishii commented, "I think I want to go (to the Majors), while I'm at my peek right now. My chance to go will definately come. I will definately go."

So, Ishii has now come full circle, from wanting to be posted, to deciding to stay, to turning down a very good multi-year contract in hopes of heading over to the Majors. We'll see what come of it in the weeks ahead.
Comments
Posting Time Table
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 28, 2001 10:08 PM | YBS Fan ]

Ishii and Yakult both got the paper work going on posting Ishii to the Majors yesterday (12/27). The ball now crosses the Pacific to the Major League side with the following minimal time table:

1/3-8: MLB Commissioner - Distribute the posting notice to the 30 MLB teams and take offers for four days.

1/8: MLB Commissioner - Relay the highest offer to the JPB Commissioner.

1/8: JPB Commissioner - Relay that to the Yakult Swallows.

1/9: Yakult - The Swallows have four days to decide to take or refuse the offer and notify the NPB Commissioner of their decision.

1/9: NPB Commissioner - The NPB Commissioner notifies the MLB Commissioner of the decision. If the offer was refused, the process ends there.

1/9: MLB Commissioner - The MLB Commissioner notifies the ball club that they have exclusive negotiation rights for 30 days to strike a deal with Ishii.

2/7: Ishii and the selected team - The two parties have 30 days to reach an agreement, that being 2/7 at the earliest.

If Ishii and the selected team reach an agreement, Ishii reaches his dream of becoming a Major Leaguer. If either Ishii or Yakult (above) refused the deal, Ishii remains with Yakult and is not eligable to be posted until November 1 of next year.

Where does Ishii want to go? He mentioned "the warm west coast," referring to Los Angeles, where his wife had lived for a short time. Ishii had also spent last off season training in Southern California, with the highlight of his trip seeing Dodger Stadium.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.