Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Irabu Retires

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Irabu Retires
SanSpo reports today that Hideki Irabu has decided to retire. After being released by Hanshin in the off season, Irabu told the club in early March that he intended to call it quits, and asked that they, as the team he was last with, put on a press conference in the MLB style. Hanshin agreed but they couldn't agree on a schedule, so the retirement was "announced" in a throw-away comment by Hanshin manager Akinobu Okada.

According to SanSpo, Irabu headed to the U.S. on April 4 to begin a "second life." "Fat toad" or not, the guy played an important part in Hanshin becoming 2003 Ce-League champions. Good luck to him.
Comments
Re: Irabu Retires
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 7, 2005 4:52 PM | HAN Fan ]

Irabu's career with the Tigers was really finished last year and he knew then that he wasn't going to be with the club this year. Club officials made that perfectly clear to the press around June last year. His inability to keep in shape coupled with his fading abilities (and in his prime he was an awesome pitcher) really sealed his fate.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 8, 2005 1:55 AM ]

- According to SanSpo, Irabu headed to the U.S. on April 4 to begin a "second life."

What does it mean by Irabu headed to the U.S. to begin a second life?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 8, 2005 9:31 AM ]

Let's not take everything so literally. I'm assuming it just means life after baseball.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 8, 2005 10:47 AM ]

- Let's not take everything so literally. I'm assuming it just means life after baseball.

I'm not taking it literally. I'm just wondering what it meant by he headed to the U.S. to begin a "second life." I was wondering if it meant he did move to LA or whatever the article stated.
[ Author: Guest: garceman | Posted: Apr 20, 2005 4:39 AM ]

I was wondering if Mr. Irabu would be interested in playing for the Japan Samurai Bears of the Golden Baseball League. They need pitching.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Apr 20, 2005 7:15 PM ]

Irabu's knees are shot. I don't think he'll be able to pitch at any level even if he wanted to. He has permanent residency status in the U.S. and has a house in L.A., where he lives with his wife and daughter. He also co-owns the Elmira Pioneers.
[ Author: Sumo fan | Posted: Apr 15, 2005 2:35 PM ]

You're right. Sumo wrestlers like Irabu make more money in Japan than in the United States. Moreover, I can't imagine what in the U.S. makes that country more appealing to him as a place to live than his native Japan. Juicy table dancers? Breast implants? G-strings? Juicy, plate-sized, inexpensive steaks? Chilled cases of beer at the local beer distributor? The Entenmann's rack at Piggy Wiggly's? McDonald's open 24 hours? "May I supersize that for you, Mr. Irabu?"
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Apr 16, 2005 9:49 PM | HT Fan ]

Pretty harsh statement, above. When I lived in New York I saw some of Irabu's worst outings and felt badly for him. So I was happy to see him make a fine contribution to the Tigers after returning to Japan. Let's give him a round of applause for that and spare the cheap fat jokes - easy enough to do. He's retired, let it go.
[ Author: Guest: solebrown | Posted: Apr 22, 2005 12:47 AM ]

It's good that he finally retired, has nothing prove, and was able to assist in winning a championship in both MLB/NPB.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.