Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Carp Re-sign Davey

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Carp Re-sign Davey
The Hiroshima Carp re-signed pitcher Tom Davey to a 1 year deal worth $150,000, along with performance related incentives. Davey was 18-6 with a 3.90 ERA in 24 games. [Link - Japan Ball]
Comments
Re: Carp Re-sign Davey
[ Author: Guest: CardiffCarp | Posted: Mar 15, 2005 9:44 PM ]

Now that would be wonderful - a Carp pitcher winning 18 out of 24. Unfortunately I think you mean an 8-6 record! Let's hope he stays fit and is able to record good figures this season.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 16, 2005 1:22 AM ]

Yes, I noticed that when I looked at it, too. I meant to say 8-6 but accidently typed 18-6. If Davey is healthy, though, I think he will have a good year.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Mar 22, 2005 2:19 PM ]

8-6 with a 3.90 ERA is very good for the Central League, seeing that not many pitchers finish with under a 4.00 ERA. It's an even better job seeing that he pitches for the Carp. These stats are basically compiled over two partial seasons that would equal almost a full season. I think once Davey joins the Carp you will see similar numbers. Is there any word on when he will be ready to pitch for the Carp at the major league [ichi-gun] level?
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 26, 2005 1:36 PM ]

Why are they only paying him $150,000? Looks like he has a good ERA, so what's up?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 26, 2005 5:23 PM ]

- Why are they only paying him $150,000? Looks like he has a good ERA, so what's up?

Davey had shoulder surgery last year which cut his season short.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Mar 26, 2005 5:46 PM ]

He had shoulder surgery last season and he had a test with the Carp this spring and passed, but wasn't ready yet. He is currently rehabbing in the minor league (ni-gun). I'm sure that they are hoping he can regain his form of 2003 when he was one of the Central League's best starters. He would be a great bargain. Any word on his return?
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 27, 2005 6:37 PM ]

Ok. That makes a little more sense. But even so, $150,000 seems low. Maybe they are being overly cautious since they aren't sure what the outcome of his surgery will be.
[ Author: Guest: Rob | Posted: Apr 14, 2005 1:00 PM ]

I spoke with Tom last week during a Western League game in Yuu Town. He pitched two innings and no one got a hit off him. It was the first time he'd thrown since the surgery. He said he hopes to be pitching in Hiroshima by late April.

Also, does anyone know where you can buy baseball cards in Hiroshima? Is there a store?
[ Author: Guest: CardiffCarp | Posted: Apr 14, 2005 7:12 PM ]

It's been many years since I lived in Hiroshima, but there used to be a lot of Carp stuff (megaphones, towels, caps, shirts, etc.) on 7th or 8th floor of SOGO, about 100 meters from the Shiminkyujo. Try there.

Great news about Tom Davey, the Carp certainly need some good pitching to match their batting, which is electric at the moment.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 14, 2005 11:37 PM ]

I saw Davey pitch a couple days ago. Davey had followed up two good games with a subpar outing. This was his first start.

Any word on the Carp bringing him up? I know even if he isn't at full strength he could still really help the team in the rotation. The Carp's rotation is weak and I think he could strengthen that team up.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.