Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Amateur Tournament

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Amateur Tournament
Anyone on an amateur baseball team out there? SanSpo has announced here (Japanese only) that it is seeking applications from amateur teams to participate in its regular nanshiki baseball tournament (sponsored by Mizuno, apparently).
Comments
Re: Amateur Tournament
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jan 24, 2005 10:31 PM | YAK Fan ]

Thanks for the link. I'll have to pass that along to my team manager. I'd love to enter the tournament, but I doubt my team would. The average age of our team is late 30's.

I wonder just what SanSpo means when they say puro yakyuu keikensha futari made? Are they talking about people who've actually played in NPB, the farm teams, and Industrial Leagues?
Re: Amateur Tournament
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 24, 2005 10:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

- I wonder just what SanSpo means when they say puro yakyuu keikensha futari made?

Well, in recent years the rules have been greatly relaxed on allowing former professional ball players to play amateur baseball. I think that they're worried that several will get together and make a dominant amateur team, so they want to limit that possibility by only allowing up to two former professionals per team.

It's probably not a big concern right now, but it'll be something teams think about when making up their teams in the future.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.