Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin Signs Spencer

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hanshin Signs Spencer
Hanshin signed outfielder Shane Spencer [Baseball Reference] to a 1 year 60,000,000 (6,000-man) yen contract. Spencer batted .262 with 59 HR and 242 RBI. [Link - Japan Ball]
Comments
Re: Hanshin Signs Spencer
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Dec 24, 2004 12:44 AM | HT Fan ]

From the same article listed above:
He played for the New York Mets this year, but was released midseason after he was charged with drinking under the influence of alcohol in Florida in July.
He and Kamisaka should make a good pair. Seems like more work for the Osaka traffic police.
[ Author: Guest: Rick Taschek/NFL/PR Dept. | Posted: Dec 26, 2004 10:18 PM ]

I've always thought the Yankees didn't give Shane a fair chance, so I hope he puts up great numbers for your team.

We'll be watching.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Dec 31, 2004 9:02 PM | HT Fan ]

- He played for the New York Mets this year, but was released midseason after he was charged with drinking [driving, surely!] under the influence of alcohol...

Didn't the Tigers make the same mistake with Tony Tarasco way back when?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 1, 2005 2:27 AM ]

- Didn't the Tigers make the same mistake with Tony Tarasco way back when?

Yes, Tarasco was arrested with the Mets for drug use. [Link - News Day]
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 24, 2004 4:35 AM ]

I think it is reasonable to project Spencer off his career averages for 162 games as given by baseball reference. If we do so, he looks like this:
    140 g
    435 AB
    122 hits
    21 2B
    1 3B
    29 HR
    49 BB
    .280 avg
    .353 OB pct
    .533 slg pct

I wish I was confident Koshien won't screw up those numbers, as it has a history of apparently suppressing offensive output (at least judged by Tigers and opposition runs scored per game).

Jim Albright

[ Author: Guest: Yankee Clipper | Posted: Dec 27, 2004 12:49 PM ]

Spencer will do OK in Japan if he can stay sober and stay out of trouble. No MLB team would touch him. He had multiple transgressions with the Mets. Japan baseball is his last chance. Sound like Mr. Baseball?

I project many sake soaked nights for Hanshin's latest gaijin trophy. Hanshin must be desperate.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Dec 30, 2004 7:02 AM | HT Fan ]

Questionable past aside, it looks to me like this is another case of Hanshin going after a guy who doesn't address their needs. Hiyama, Akahoshi, and Kanemoto are all coming off good seasons, and Hamanaka is seemingly always on the verge of breaking out. I thought Andy Sheets was supposed to play first - are they going to move him over to third? That might work if Spencer can play first.

Still, Hanshin has plenty of solid hitters, and I really doubt that Spencer will contribute as much as even an average, mid-rotation starter.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 30, 2004 9:43 AM ]

- I thought Andy Sheets was supposed to play first - are they going to move him over to third?

From what I've heard, Sheets is playing first. Spencer is an outfielder.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 31, 2004 5:01 PM | HAN Fan ]

Replacing who? I cannot see a weakness in the outfield where he can be slotted in.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 7, 2005 5:32 AM ]

This is a good move for Hanshin (I think at least). Spencer is a hard-nosed player who will bring something special to Hanshin. I'm a little surprised though. After his little DUI situation last year, the Yankees signed him to a minor league contract. He did pretty well, and I remember reading on the Columbus Clippers (Yankees AAA affiliate) web site that he's re-signed for 2005 - but guess not. :/
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.