Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Collins to Retire from Buffaloes Tonight

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Collins to Retire from Buffaloes Tonight
I got an e-mail message this evening stating that Orix Buffaloes manager, Terry Collins, is quiting the Buffaloes after this evening's game. I've looked through Nikkan Sports, SpoNichi Annex, and Yahoo! Japan Sports with no such comment.

The retirement message states that his flame has been burnt out, and he cannot respectfully continue without that passion and energy he has had for his 38 year career in the game. It's time to move on.

Scuttlebutt has it that Collins-kantoku had tried to quit before, but the team talked him out of it.

I'm sure there are few who will argue that Collins-kantoku has been managing with his hands tied behind his back, as a less than competent front office has hampered his every attempt at change.

And speaking of change, I was with Jim Allen at Chiba Marine Stadium last Friday while Allen-san was interviewing head pitching coach, Mike Brown. Jim asked him, "if [he] could change just one thing, what would it be?" I promised Jim I wouldn't use "his interview" unless he didn't for a month. So I can't complete that thought until June 23. But his answer had more to do with tradition than the front office.

I'm foregoing the BayStars game this evening in favor of the Orix vs. Hanshin game in hopes that they'll announce something. I'll update when/if something is announced.
Comments
Re: Collins to Retire from Buffaloes Tonight
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 21, 2008 9:33 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, I watched the game to the end (just when one thought that they were going to get out of the bases loaded no out jam, the Tigers clear the bases and turn the game around - bummer). It doesn't appear that the announcers were let in on this, even after the game. And Collins-kantoku, on the camera shots to the dugout, looked as he alway does, someone trying to find a way to win a ball game.

So this is either a prank, he's had a change of heart, or we'll hear about it later.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 21, 2008 11:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

It took a while to get to the Net, but Collins-kantoku did announce his retirement earlier today.(All of the above are in Japanese.)

Ohishi Daijiro (head coach) has been named to take place as field manager. It has also been announced that Mike Brown (chief pitching coach) and John Debus (chief batting coach) will be leaving the team as well.
[ Author: Guest: John | Posted: May 21, 2008 11:43 PM ]

This is just unbelievable. Only Orix, with its history of yearly scandals, could pull this off. Two months into the season the mananger, pitching, and batting coach all quit. Then they hire a no name manager with no major league experience. Another coup by idiot Nakamura and company. How pathetic!

Someone needs to knock the owner over the head and tell him to wake up. Since Nakamura has been with Orix, there has been nothing but scandal and losing seasons. Not to mention a change of manager nearly every year.

Again, how pathetic.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: May 21, 2008 11:44 PM | NIP Fan ]

Wow, that's really crazy.

I mean, I don't really blame him, but it's still pretty sudden to me. I guess that means we're down to two foreign managers now.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: May 22, 2008 4:11 AM ]

Typical of Orix. Miyauchi and Nabetsune are the cancer of NPB.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 22, 2008 6:03 AM ]

This is very surprising to hear. It's too bad that Collins wasnt given the pieces to win as well as a front office that didn't work with him. I think this organization needs a major shakeup, top to bottom. They need a front office that will give the manager the right players and scouts that can get the right players. I think the GM needs to be out of here, hopefully sooner than later.

This will be the 4th manager in as many years and I'm sure they will have their 5th for next season. Not to mention shuffling of coaches and front office personel over those years as well. There is no stability at all and I think this organoization needs to get togehter this fall and come up with a plan and the people to implement that plan and stick with it.

This has been a year Orix would like to forget, and it's only going to get longer. With most of thier payroll in the gaikokujin Cabrera and Rhodes (who aren't performing up to expectations), Davey and LaRocca (who are both not even playing because of injuries), and an overpaid Ortiz, they are not getting their money's worth.

The Orix team has really struggled, but despite being in last place I think Collins has done a great job of stringing a rotation together with the likes of Komatsu, Yamamoto, and Kondoh. I don't think many people would think these guys would do much, but they have been very good. Remember, the team opened up the season without Davey, Hirano, and Kishida, who were supposed to carry the team. Any team losing their top 3 would be in trouble, and now Kishida is the only of those 3 back, and not sure if the other two will be back this year. I would be surprised if any of the gaijin players will be back next season.

I wish the best to Collins. He just never seemed to really open up to the Japanese baseball experience. I'm sure he will go back to the U.S. and this experience will make him a bettter manager if he decides to go that route again.

Will Gotoh get his # 1 back now? I sure hope so.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 22, 2008 7:41 AM | HAN Fan ]

Well, Orix not getting out of a bases loaded jam is good news to Tigers fans (no bummer there).

On the matter of Collins - why should he put up with all the rubbish served up by Orix? The problem is the front office will continue blindly on without realising their stupidity.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 22, 2008 10:28 AM | SFT Fan ]

Christopher summed my feelings about Orix up perfectly.

This is an organization that's a joke from top to bottom. The front office will continue to march on blindly without realizing their ineptness. Nakamura's ineptness is beyond belief.

As for Collins, you knew the ineptness of Nakamura and the rest of the clueless front office and the barking from the clueless ownership had to be taking its toll on him, even if he didn't or won't mention it as a reason, since he's been wanting to get out for a while.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 24, 2008 4:35 PM ]

I find it hard to believe that Collins' fire has burned out on its own in less than 1 1/2 years. I think it was stomped out by Mayuchi, Nabetsune, and Nakamura; the 3 amigos/idiots. If it was only Collins' fire that went out, then why did Brown and Debus quit also? It's clear Collins isn't telling the whole story. The combination of the front office's ineptness and the players' ineptness was too much. 90% of the runs Orix pitchers give up must come with 2 outs. It's insane. Plus the hitters almost never get a clutch hit. No wonder Collins is on a flight back to the States.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.