Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ishige Named to Replace Ohgi

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Ishige Named to Replace Ohgi
Earilier this week, Orix's Ohgi-kantoku announced that he was retiring. (I was confused as to whether that was as of the end of the season or before. Some news suggests that it's before.) Of the names proposed to replace him, number one on that list is former Lion and Hawk, Ishige Hiromichi. (Note, that means that it still isn't official.)

The 45 year old Ishige, after retiring from Daiei in 1996, was supposedly being groomed to take over the top spot in Fukuoka. He spent 1997 in the Dodgers' organization as a coach, then was the Hawks' 2-gun manager in 1998. After that, Ishige became a commentator, saying that he wanted to learn more about the game from off the field (if I remember correctly). I was under the impression at the time that he didn't want to be at 2-gun any longer - but I may have misinterpreted him.

Nikkan Sports reports that Ishige may take over the BlueWave helm as early as next week, which is why I think that Ohgi-kantoku may be gone. (But I'm sure I saw him after the announcement.)

About Ishige:

Born in Chiba 1956/09/22. #1 draft pick by Seibu in 1981 after playing ameteur ball for Seibu Group's Prince Hotel chain. Became the regular shortstop his rookie year of 1981 hitting .311 with 21 home runs to take Rookie of the Year. He was one of the fundamental players of the Lions' dynasty that lasted through most of the 1980s and early '90s. Ishige took the MVP Award in 1986, was named to the Best Nine 8 times, and won 10 Golden Gloves. He moved to Daiei in 1994 as a free agent, then retired after the 1996 season.

In 16 years, Ishige played in 1,796 games, went 1,833 for 6,472 (.283), hit 236 home runs, drove in 847 runs, and stole 243 bases.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.