Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 9/12

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 9/12
The only night game this strike averted evening will be the Yakult Swallows against the Yomiuri Giants at Tokyo Dome. The remainder of the teams are having "family friendly" day games, something that I've always admired in the teams not called the "Giants." I'd like to do a study on day game attendance one of these days, but fear that with so few night games on the weekend in the Pacific League, that the data won't have much meaning.

Anyway, tune in this evening at around 6:00 pm JST for the exciting play-by-play of the Giants trying to stay in the race as everything winds down. See you then.
Comments
Re: Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 9/12
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 12, 2004 10:19 PM | YBS Fan ]

Due to a hardware problem previously reported (I'm scheduled to get this fixed in November), I've only got a partial transcript. There's a quick review after the game, but the key runs are here. Hey, maybe this will be incentive to join live!

Anyway, enjoy the end of the game starting in the bottom of the sixth:

TRANSCRIPT generated on : 2004/09/12 22:05
CHATROOM : Game of the Week/Yakult Swallows vs. Yomiuri Giants
MODERATORS : westbaystars

20:02 westbaystars: With the count full and Kokubo running, Peta-chan takes ball four low and inside.
20:03 westbaystars: I hope I can restore the rest, but I fear I may not.
20:03 westbaystars: After the walk, Yakult's pitching coach came out and Ishidoh is gone.
20:03 westbaystars: Ishidoh threw 89 pitches on the evening.
20:04 westbaystars: Ishii comes in to pitch for Yakult with runners at first and second and one out.
20:04 westbaystars: Ishii's team mate in Athens, Takahashi Yoshinobu, will be the first batter he faces.
20:06 westbaystars: Yoshinobu grounds the ball right to Dobashi at second.
20:06 westbaystars: The throw to second gets one, the throw to first is in time, inning ending double play.
20:07 westbaystars: That Giants threatened, but failed to capitalize.
20:07 westbaystars: At the end of six complete, Yakult leads 2-1.
20:07 westbaystars: ---
20:07 westbaystars: Top of Seventh
20:07 westbaystars: ---
20:08 westbaystars: Looks like the 7th inning prediction was close.
20:08 MHStevie: Yep... just hit the first update in the bottom of the 6th, so very close...
20:09 westbaystars: Inaba comes up to bat in the number nine slot after being put there with the pitching change.
20:10 westbaystars: He fouls out to Takahashi a step in foul territory and at the right field fense.
20:10 westbaystars: Ishii was put into the lineup in the number seven spot.
20:10 westbaystars: The top of the order in Shida comes up.
20:12 westbaystars: Shida grounds out to Nioka at short. Two quick outs.
20:12 westbaystars: That brings up Miyamoto.
20:13 westbaystars: And Miyamoto goes down swinging and missing a 2-2 pitch.
20:14 westbaystars: Nakamura had a quick 1-2-3 inning in the seventh.
20:14 westbaystars: ---
20:14 westbaystars: Bottom of Seventh
20:14 westbaystars: ---
20:17 westbaystars: Nioka leads off the Giants' half of the seventh.
20:18 westbaystars: And he strikes out on four pitches, the last pitch way outside.
20:18 westbaystars: One out.
20:19 westbaystars: Abe goes down swinging on three pitches, the last one way low and away with Abe unable to hold up.
20:19 westbaystars: Two quick strike outs.
20:20 westbaystars: Motoki pinch hits for Nakamura.
20:20 westbaystars: And he looks pretty crossed up by Ishii's second pitch, unable to hold up for strike two.
20:21 westbaystars: After taking a ball, Motoki swings and misses a pitch on the outside part of the plate (maybe slightly outside, but ...
20:21 westbaystars: ... close enough to protect against).
20:21 westbaystars: Ishii strikes out the side in order.
20:22 westbaystars: At the end of seven complete, the Swallows continue to lead 2-1.
20:22 westbaystars: ---
20:22 westbaystars: Top of Eighth
20:22 westbaystars: ---
20:24 westbaystars: Okajima comes in to hold the game for the Giants.
20:24 westbaystars: He'll face Yakult's cleanup starting with number three batting Iwamura.
20:25 westbaystars: Iwamura is one home run shy of becoming the first Japanese in Yakult history to hit 40 home runs in a season.
20:26 westbaystars: Iwamura reaches for an outside curve ball and pulls the ball directly into the right field stands!
20:27 westbaystars: Iwamura becomes the first Japanese Swallow to hit fourty in a season!
20:27 westbaystars: Omedeto gozaimasu.
20:28 MHStevie: Omedetou gozaimasu, Iwamura-san!
20:28 westbaystars: Iwamura is ranked third in home runs behind Rhodes (42) and Woods (41).
20:28 westbaystars: That brings up Furuta with a 3-1 lead.
20:29 westbaystars: And Furuta watches strike three go by for the first out of the inning.
20:29 westbaystars: Ramirez comes in and swings hard (missing) the first pitch.
20:30 westbaystars: The "bench report" says that Ramirez didn't think that the ball would go in.
20:30 westbaystars: In reference to his gyaku-ten two run shot in the sixth.
20:31 westbaystars: Here, he watches strike three go by at hte knees and on the inside corner.
20:31 westbaystars: That brings up Suzuki.
20:31 westbaystars: And he flies out to Petagine in foul territory between first and home.
20:31 westbaystars: ... on the first pitch.
20:31 westbaystars: That retires the side.
20:32 westbaystars: But not before Iwamura led off the inning with an insurance home run to increase Yakult's lead to 3-1.
20:32 westbaystars: ---
20:32 westbaystars: Bottom of Eighth
20:32 westbaystars: ---
20:34 westbaystars: Nishi leads off the eighth for the Giants.
20:34 westbaystars: Ishii is still on the mound for Yakult.
20:34 westbaystars: Nishi grounds the second offering to Miyamoto at short.
20:35 westbaystars: It's a routine play to first, and we have one out.
20:35 westbaystars: Shimizu follows.
20:36 westbaystars: Ishii's third pitch to Shimizu looks like strike three, with Furuta heading to the dugout, but it's called ball one low.
20:38 westbaystars: After taking ball two, the selective Shimizu swings and misses a pitch way outside and low to become out number two.
20:38 westbaystars: That brings up Rhodes.
20:39 westbaystars: With the count one strike and two balls, Ishii comes in and gives Rhodes his 43rd home run ball of the season.
20:40 westbaystars: A high arch deep into the Swallows' oen-dan in left.
20:40 westbaystars: That cuts the Swallows' lead to 3-2, making Iwamura's home run all the more important.
20:41 westbaystars: Kokubo looked like he failed to hold up on strike three to me (on three pitches), but the first base umpire ...
20:41 westbaystars: ...
20:41 westbaystars: said otherwise.
20:42 westbaystars: But it doesn't matter as Kokubo grounds the next pitch to Miyamoto at short and is thrown out to retire the side.
20:42 westbaystars: Rhodes hit big number 43 to bring the Giants to within one.
20:42 westbaystars: At the end of eight complete, the Swallows now lead 3-2.
20:42 westbaystars: ---
20:42 westbaystars: Top of Nineth
20:42 westbaystars: ---
20:43 westbaystars: I'm afraid the first part of the log is lost.
20:43 westbaystars: I can't find any hint of it.
20:44 westbaystars: Kisanuki takes the mound for the Giants.
20:45 westbaystars: He'll face pinch hitter Yuichi to start.
20:45 westbaystars: And the pinch hitter goes down swinging on four pitches.
20:46 westbaystars: One out.
20:46 westbaystars: That brings up Dobashi.
20:48 westbaystars: With the count 2-2, Kisanuki hits the high speed of the night, a 151 kph fast ball that's fouled off.
20:50 westbaystars: After fouling a couple off, Dobashi finally goes down swinging at an outside pitch.
20:50 westbaystars: Two down.
20:50 westbaystars: Kisanuki had to work for that one.
20:50 MHtrStevie: That's too bad about the log... let's hope Iwamura's historic HR stays preserved, though.
20:50 westbaystars: Inaba, who came in defensively earlier, comes up.
20:51 westbaystars: I'm saving the log after each inning, now.
20:51 westbaystars: I have a feeling that the problem is some bad sectors on the hard drive.
20:52 westbaystars: This has been a problem for a couple of months, but it seems to have avoided that section of the hard drive for a while.
20:52 westbaystars: Unfortunately, I erased a lot of fluff lately, so it's going back to that segment.
20:52 westbaystars: Kisanuki strikes out Inaba swinging at an inside pitch to strike out the side in order.
20:52 westbaystars: Nice pitching by Kisanuki.
20:53 westbaystars: ---
20:53 westbaystars: Bottom of Nineth
20:53 westbaystars: ---
20:53 westbaystars: The Giants are down to their final chance down by one run.
20:54 MHtrStevie: Yeah, that's as good as you could ask from a pitcher there... keeps the Giants' hopes alive.
20:54 westbaystars: And it's not going to be easy with ace closer Igarashi coming in.
20:54 westbaystars: The Giants start with number five Petagine.
20:55 westbaystars: Igarashi tied the Japan record of 158 kph earlier this season.
20:56 westbaystars: And with 32 save points (28 saves, 4 closing wins), he's well on his way to the Fireman's Award.
20:56 westbaystars: Second is Yokohama's Sasaki with 20 save points.
20:56 westbaystars: Igarashi hits 153 kph to renew the high speed of the night.
20:57 westbaystars: And he gets Petagine swinging and missing a 151 kph fast ball.
20:57 westbaystars: One out.
20:57 westbaystars: That brings up Takahashi Yoshinobu.
20:58 westbaystars: 155 kph pitch is swung on and missed.
21:00 westbaystars: After a steady diet of 152+ pitches, Igarashi throws a 138 kphone bounder that Takahashi takes to even the count at 2-2.
21:00 westbaystars: The next pitch, marked at 154 kph, is lifted high to shallow center.
21:00 westbaystars: Shida comes in and makes the catch.
21:00 westbaystars: Two outs.
21:01 westbaystars: That brings up Nioka.
21:01 westbaystars: A foul then a 141 kph change up is swung on and missed for two quick strikes.
21:01 westbaystars: 141 fork ball is in the dirt and taken for ball one.
21:02 westbaystars: 153 kph down the middle is fouled back behind the backstop.
21:02 westbaystars: 141 fork low is taken, and the first base umpire says he held up.
21:03 westbaystars: The 2-2 pitch is grounded weakly to the left side.
21:03 westbaystars: Miyamoto rushes in, fields the ball, fires to first, and the game is over.
21:03 westbaystars: Yakult wins 3-2.
21:04 westbaystars: Wow! Igarashi is fun to watch.
21:04 westbaystars: Iwamura is called out as the hero of the game.
21:04 MHtrStevie: Sounds like it... high speed and good velocity differences in his pitches too...
21:05 westbaystars: Igarashi's low was 138 kph.
21:05 westbaystars: That's a 18 kph difference.
21:06 westbaystars: His fork was only 141, and it doesn't look like it fooled anyone, though.
21:07 MHtrStevie: I guess that isn't that much, is it...?
21:07 MHtrStevie: It looks bigger expressed in kph... =)
21:08 westbaystars: 11 1/4 mph.
21:08 westbaystars: ***
21:08 westbaystars: With the win, Yakult remains in third place.
21:09 westbaystars: They're still 10 games behind the Dragons who won, and 3 behind the Giants.
21:10 westbaystars: But since the Giants have 16 games remaining to the Swallows' 23, they're now the team against which Chunichi's ...
21:10 westbaystars: ... magic is to be set.
21:10 westbaystars: Still, Chunichi has 71 wins to Yakult's 58 (and the Giants' 65).
21:10 westbaystars: A comeback isn't very likely.
21:11 westbaystars: ***
21:11 westbaystars: The final slot available in the Pacific League, though, is still very close.
21:12 westbaystars: Nippon Ham defeated Lotte this afternoon, taking third place.
21:12 westbaystars: I think I heard that their magic number is 8.
21:13 MHtrStevie: Yeah... I'm glad the PL playoff format is creating some real drama for the league...
21:13 westbaystars: Lotte's magic number (if it existed) would be 9.
21:14 westbaystars: There was a lot of critism when this playoff thing was announced, but I'm starting to get into it.
21:14 westbaystars: Especially since there's a very real race for third.
21:14 westbaystars: And not so much of one for first.
21:15 westbaystars: And a 10% off sale at Daiei today for clinching a play-off spot was nice.
21:15 MHtrStevie: Things worked out... without the race, there might still be criticism...
21:16 westbaystars: Anyway, Lotte has seven games remaining, Nippon Ham has nine.
21:16 westbaystars: Or if the third place team end up below .500, there still may be.
21:17 MHtrStevie: I think if a below 0.500 team got in with no competition, things might have been different...
21:17 westbaystars: Both teams are hovering on the wrong side of the line.
21:17 MHtrStevie: It seems like with this final stretch battle, at least the criticism might be less...
21:18 westbaystars: True.
21:18 MHtrStevie: It feels like whichever team prevails will have earned that spot, even if ending up under 0.500...
21:19 MHtrStevie: And with (for example) Lotte's good season numbers against Daiei, they could prove to be a factor.
21:20 westbaystars: Yes. The Ham have been sitting ducks for the Hawks, but strong against the Lions.
21:21 westbaystars: Oh, no they haven't against Seibu, either.
21:21 westbaystars: It was Kintetsu who held their own against Seibu.
21:22 MHtrStevie: Well, Ham's not too bad though... I think Seibu leads that series 14-11, if my numbers are right.
21:22 westbaystars: Yes, that's right. So they weren't dominated.
21:23 westbaystars: And in that vein, neither has Lotte. Although they've traditionally had an alergy to Lions.
21:23 westbaystars: ***
21:23 westbaystars: Hi, Habs-san.
21:23 westbaystars: The game's over already.
21:23 westbaystars: Yakult won 3-2.
21:24 westbaystars: Home runs accounted for all the runs.
21:24 habs: morning. Was it a quick game
21:25 westbaystars: It ended in shortly over three hours.
21:26 westbaystars: Correction: The Giants scored one run on a few hits in the fourth.
21:26 MHtrStevie: Yeah, both Lotte and Ham have at least stayed with both Daiei and Seibu.
21:26 westbaystars: Ramirez turned thee game around with a two-run home run in the sixth.
21:27 westbaystars: Iwamura hit his 40th of the season to give Yakult a 3-1 lead in the top of the eighth.
21:27 westbaystars: Then Rhodes hit his 43rd of the season to make it a one-run game in the bottom of the eighth.
21:27 westbaystars: That was the final.
21:28 westbaystars: I still don't understand Lotte's problems against Orix.
21:28 MHtrStevie: I think Lotte's more even with Daiei than the record reflects... only ahead of the Hawks thanks to early dominance.
21:29 MHtrStevie: No kidding... especially early, Orix *really* had the Marines' number.
21:30 westbaystars: Only winning 6 games in May really hurt them.
21:31 westbaystars: Only losing 9 in August brought them back into competition.
21:32 MHtrStevie: The Bobby V. patented Marine late charge... =)
21:33 habs: Is the late charge slowing the talk he is leaving the Marine?
21:33 MHtrStevie: Nice to hear there's no second PL merger, so Bobby might have a chance at a 2nd season with Lotte.
21:35 westbaystars: There wasn't ever any such talk (about Bobby leaving) here in Japan.
21:35 westbaystars: And today is the first that the issue of a manager for the merged Orix Buffaloes has been brought up.
21:36 westbaystars: The press is speculating that it will either be Hara (of Giants' fame) or Ohgi (managed Ichiro with Orix).
21:37 MHtrStevie: How has Bobby V. been perceived this year coaching Lotte?
21:38 MHtrStevie: I know the last time his management styles really ran against the Japanese coaching staff...
21:39 habs: Time for Breakfast hope to see you next week.
21:39 westbaystars: He had a much more open staff this time around, and from what I can tell, full control.
21:39 westbaystars: See you next week, Habs-san. Take care.
21:40 westbaystars: He was under Hirooka-GM last time around, and it was with him that he ran into road blocks.
21:42 MHtrStevie: So I don't see why he'd want to leave the Marines at all in that case...
21:42 MHtrStevie: I don't know where that rumor started in the Forums...
21:42 westbaystars: On the negotiation front, the Giants' president has come out and stated that he has a difference of opinion with ...
21:42 westbaystars: ... the negotiations.
21:43 westbaystars: The rumor started with some East Coast reporter.
21:43 westbaystars: Some East Coast reporter who knows absolutely nothing about Japanese baseball.
21:47 MHtrStevie: What's this difference in opinion the Giants' president has with the negotiations?
21:48 westbaystars: He doesn't feel that the owners have to add a team by next year to stay at 6 and 6.
21:49 MHtrStevie: Oh, he thinks a 5-team PL is fine...? I assume with inter-league games...?
21:50 westbaystars: The players stated as their condition that the owners examine/consider making it easier for teams to join.
21:51 westbaystars: Therefore, all they have to do is consider it, dismiss it, and the players won't have reason so strike.
21:53 MHtrStevie: Not a very strong position there from the players... what conditions aren't met at this point?
21:54 westbaystars: The first condition was that the merger be put on hold. So he's trying to create a distraction.
21:55 westbaystars: He goes off saying that what the owners decide isn't open to public debate or decision.
21:56 westbaystars: Also, they don't need a third party to negotiate, it's all something that the 12 teams can decide on their own.
21:57 westbaystars: The players, stadiums, areas, etc. have no say in the matter of how the teams are run.
21:58 westbaystars: In other words, he has the funny idea that he can do what ever he wants to whomever he wants.
21:58 westbaystars: And nobody effected by his decisions should be allowed to have any say in the matter.
21:59 westbaystars: The teams and how they're run is up to the owners and front office - only.
21:59 MHtrStevie: Is that the traditional position taken by the owners, particularly from Yomiuri?
22:00 westbaystars: Not all of them. Hiroshima is a great example of the owner caring for the team as a member of his family.
22:01 westbaystars: He may have the lowest team salary of all the teams, but he runs the team as a business on its own, not as a ...
22:02 westbaystars: ... marketing department.
22:02 MHtrStevie: Well that's good to hear at least...
22:02 westbaystars: Yomiuri, on the other hand, has traditionally been extreamly heavy handed in negotiations with players.
22:02 MHtrStevie: All right, my show's ending here and I have to get of here...
22:03 westbaystars: I remember Kuwata a number of years ago, after having a great year, trying to negotiate for something more.
22:03 MHtrStevie: Great job as always, and nice post-short game discussion... =)
22:03 westbaystars: When he raised the possiblity of leaving, the Giants essentially told him that he was their property and would stop ...
22:03 westbaystars: ... such thoughts.
22:04 westbaystars: That time, huh?
22:04 westbaystars: Yea. It would be nice to get some sleep.
22:04 MHtrStevie: I'd like to see the players take a strong position, but also I'm rooting for no strike...
22:04 MHtrStevie: ...so I don't miss any of these Sunday games!
22:04 westbaystars: See you again next week if this guy doesn't kill talks alltogether.
22:05 MHtrStevie: Yeah, hope to see you then...
22:05 MHtrStevie: Take care!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.