Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Open-sen Have Begun

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Open-sen Have Begun
As you can now see on the top page, scores are in. I've also got the open-sen schedules up on the teams' pages, with results. I've also started a box score repository here in the hopes that someone will convert the images to retro-sheet type data. (The file name is the GameID in my database - it would be nice if such a project included this.) I can't guarantee having scores or box scores up at the same time every day, but I'll try not to fall more than a week behind at any time.

Anyway, with those announcements out of the way, who impressed on this first day?

Seibu's G.G. Satoh, signed from Single-A Lakewood, hit a 120 meter solo shot at Miyakonojyo, leaving the stadium. This was his second jyogai shot in two days. What's more, Nakajima, filling the hole left by Kazuo, went three for 4 before lining out to second to stop a streak of reaching base in 8 consecutive plate appearances. Post-Matsui looks well taken care of.

But Hiroshima's #4 batting Arai drove in 3 of the Carp's 4 runs to defeat the Lions.

Over at Ginowan, Yokohama lost 4-9 to Yakult. Once again, it was the long ball killing the Stars as Miyamoto went long to put Yakult on the board 2-0 in the first. Martin hit a pair of solo shots in the second and third innings, with Iida hitting back-to-back with Martin in the second. Yokohama's solo shots by Murata and Aikawa weren't enough to cover for their pitching. On the bright side, Murata has hit home 8 home runs over the last 7 games (including games against Korean LG Twins and Samsun Lions). Murata hit 25 with limited playing time last season. He'll be very welcome in the every day lineup this season.

Ochiai's Dragons were one-hit to a 4-0 loss to Shinjo's Ham. Today's front page of Nikkan Sports proudly proclaims Shinjo as scoring the first run of 2004 after getting hit by a pitch to lead off the second, then brought around three batters later by #9 batter Furuki at 1:22. Since the Yokohama game started a half hour later, Miyamoto's first inning 2-run home run wasn't until 1:33. Nonetheless, Hillman-kantoku sent out six pitchers to the mound to combine for the one hitter.

Hanshin defeated Orix at Aki. Kinkade is being hyped as the real deal as he's hit home runs in four practice games in a row before doing so this game, too. But it was really the bottom of the Hanshin lineup that hit Orix hard, seeing 13 batters in the 8 run 7th inning. Orix pitchers continue to suffer from control problems, giving up 7 walks in their 5-9 loss.

Finally, the Giants defeated Lotte thanks to a Yoshinobu grand slam off of Kuroki in the 3rd inning. Kuroki was happy to throw again, but not so happy with the outcome. Other than the 5 run third inning, Lotte pitchers held their own, only giving up a run on a walk and pair of hits in the 7th. Lee had a disappointing debut striking out twice and going hitless in three at bats (plus a walk).

So, there you have it. Baseball is now in full swing for 2004.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.