Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Lasorda's Curse

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Lasorda's Curse
Former Dodger skipper Tommy Lasorda this year entered into an advisory position with the Kintetsu Buffaloes which sees him come to Japan once a month to (what else?) advise the club on different affairs.  While the Buffs have taken and held on to the top spot in Pacific League, they've now dropped 5 in a row with Lasorda in attendence.  My advice is to keep the king of pasta out of Osaka Dome.

If you take the 5th inning away from last night's (8/10) game, then you've got a pretty good game.  But some mysterious forces were at work against Kintetsu there just past the half way point in the game.

Seibu's number nine batter, Ueda, led off the fifth with a walk.  It was the 4th walk/hit batsman allowed by starter Maekawa.  Unfortunately, it wasn't his last.

"Little" Matsui, in the line up as the designated hitter for this past week as he is suffering from pain in one leg (I think - it might be his shoulder), becomes Maekawa's second hit batsman of the evening for two quick base runners without a single hit.

After Shimizu hit an infield single to load the bases with nobody out, Wada drove in Ueda on a ground out to third.  Cabrera followed that with a sacrifice fly to right, and Seibu took a 3-1 lead.

Now, with two down, two runs in, and only one base runner, Maekawa couldn't get another out.  He walked McClain then gave up a 2 run double to Kakiuchi.  He then walked Itoh and Harai to load the bases again, and Ueda, up for a second time this inning, ripped a bases clearing double to center.

Now, I don't know what Nashida-kantoku was thinking, but apparently 10 batters in an inning wasn't enough for him.  So, Maekawa gave up an RBI single to Matsui, then an RBI triple to Shimizu for the 8th run of the inning, making the score 9-1.

Finally, Aikyoh comes in for relief.  While he hits pinch hitter Shibata to start off, Aikyoh finishes off the inning by getting Cabrera to ground out to himself.  He and the remaining Buffaloe pitchers then held the Lions scoreless the remainder of the game, the final being 9-1.

Comments
More Buffaloes Trivia
[ Author: moto-rithifruss | Posted: Aug 12, 2001 7:36 PM ]

I had heard that Australian/American News Corporation/FOX man Rupert Murdoch was thinking about buying the Buffaloes. Since he already owns the Dodgers, I thought maybe this was something of a tactic to acquire the team?
Murdoch and the Buffs
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 12, 2001 9:35 PM | YBS Fan ]

Rumors have been floating around for a couple of years that media-giant Murdoch has been trying to break into the Japanese market by buying the Buffaloes (or perhaps another team). There was a lot of such speculation at the beginning of this season, but I don't recall anything coming of it. Essentially, Kintetsu didn't want to relinquish control and were looking for a "partner to share their dept" was the impression I had.

Now that you mention it, the Lasorda advisory contract may very well be a part of what will be an on going relationship between Kintetsu and Murdoch (as opposed to the Dodgers). This is something I hadn't thought of before. Thanks for bringing it up.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.