Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

BayStars vs. Tigers Opening Day

Discussion in the NPB News forum
BayStars vs. Tigers Opening Day
Through five innings so far, Yokohama's Yoshimi has the upper hand on Hanshin's Igawa as the 'Stars lead 3-0.

The Tigers got a runner to second in the first inning, but there he died. Yokohama didn't do anything in the bottom of the first as Igawa looked like he was going to be tough.

But it was the second that Yoshimi got the better of Igawa, on the mound and at the plate.

In the top of the second, with runners at first and third and two down, Igawa came to the plate. On a two strike one ball count, Yoshimi got Igawa swinging on an outside pitch to retire the side, and end the threat.

After Kinjyoh plated Woods in the bottom of the second, Yoshimi came up with two down and runners at second an third. On a 2-2 count, Yoshimi reached for Igawa's outside pitch and slapped it through the gap on the left side of the infield - base hit! The runner trots home from third, and Yokohama takes a 2-0 lead.

After that, Yoshimi has thrown three perfect innings (so far - knock on wood).

Defensively, the BayStars have looked good. I said before that I wanted to see Fukumoto get a chance to play second, but Ogawa has been impressive this evening. Is it the new turf? I don't remember his range being that wide (and tall - nice jump).

... Update ...

The Tigers have finally gotten to Yoshimi, scoring one in the top of the seventh. Back to back walks came back turn burn him when pinch hitter Hirosawa singled up the middle. A great diving grab and toss to second on what looked like a base hit up the middle by pinch hitting Yagi prevented a second run.

But Imaoka came through, slapping a base hit over Ogawa's head and into right. It's a one run ball game!
Comments
Yokohama Defeats Hanshin
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 28, 2003 9:22 PM | YBS Fan ]

OK, I won't keep you Hanshin fans in suspense any longer, the next batter, head sliding into first was just out thanks to another great dash and throw by Ogawa at second. Hanshin's one big threat averted.

In the bottom of the eighth, Woods hit a solo home run into the quieting Hanshin fans over the left field fense. That put the BayStars up 4-2, which proved to be the final.

For Hanshin, this has been the team's 7th opening day at Yokohama, and 7th loss in a row. Opening day for Hanshin has been a real problem for the past couple of decades as they've lost 13 of their last 14 starts. (They defeated the Giants last year on opening day to break a 12 year losing streak.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.