Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin Signs Lou Pote

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hanshin Signs Lou Pote
Sankei Sports reports that Hanshin has signed Lou Pote from the Angels. Hoshino-kantoku is said to have indicated that either Pote or Jeff Williams will be used as a closer, but that he would prefer right-handed Williams to take that job, as having more left-handed relieving pitchers presents him with more options.

Pote's figures are here for all to see, but does anyone know anything about him?

• Footnote: it seems now that Hanshin has made all the acquisitions they're going to, and that after months of uncertainty surrounding Petagine and Nakamura, George Arias is staying. I recall mentioning on this forum that Hanshin was after people like Todd Greene et al. What ever happened to those guys? Anyway, Hanshin has three non-Japanese players this season: Arias, Williams, and Pote, only one of whom, Arias, was here last year. Last year, we also had Derrick White, Marc Valdez, Tom Evans (later traded to Seibu), Buddy Carlisle, and Greg Hansell.
Comments
Re: Hanshin Signs Lou Pote
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 13, 2003 10:56 AM | HT Fan ]

> ...Tom Evans (later traded to Seibu)

Now that I think of it, Evans got a bit of rough treatment didn't he? Traded to Seibu after languishing in Hanshin's 2-gun for a season and a half, he still managed to hit 15 HRs, and yet Seibu dump him.
[ Author: Guest: Stanly | Posted: Jan 18, 2003 10:33 PM ]

Lou Pote is also a right handed pitcher.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 19, 2003 1:05 AM | HT Fan ]

> Lou Pote is also a right handed pitcher.

Thanks for pointing out my glaring error, Stanly. I meant to say that they wanted the right-handed Pote to take the job. Musta had Williams on the brain...
[ Author: Guest: HAP | Posted: Jan 27, 2003 2:19 AM ]

The Tigers got a great pitcher in Lou Pote. He can start, go long as a middle reliever, or close if you need him. I just hope he can get more chances with the Tigers than the pitching heavy Angels gave him.
[ Author: Guest: YANKEE | Posted: Feb 14, 2003 9:35 AM ]

You got that right.
[ Author: Guest: Duker | Posted: Feb 2, 2003 12:14 AM ]

Been in the Angel organization for 5 years at AA, AAA, and at the major league level for the last 3 years. A very under used pitcher from the standpoint that most pitchers on a staff know their job, long relief, short relief, set-up, closer, or a long reliever with potential to start a game in certain situations. That was not the case in this guy's situation. Initially, when he came up to the majors, he was put in the set-up role for the last month and a half of the season. The next season he was used as a long reliever, short reliever, set-up, and got a spot start at the end of the season. From the standpoint of a pitcher, you want the ball as often as you can get it, especially if you are trying to secure a position on a club. In all fairness, the way he was used was like he was set-up to fail. There were periods between pitching oppurtunities that 10 to 20 days would pass and not even a get up and get loose would occur. Then there were situations that he could have pitched but for whatever reasons he wasn't given the shot.

I know this kid can pitch at that level and be very successful if given the oppurtunity to pitch on a consistent basis. He's a big strong kid with workhorse mentality and never would shy away from any situation he was put in. So in closing, please give this kid the ball on a consistent basis and you will see what I have known for a very long time.
[ Author: Guest: boodada | Posted: Feb 26, 2003 3:13 PM ]

Great analysis of Lou's career, but I'm biased ... being his cousin.

When he was 10 I was 16, and having a great arm myself, he was throwing the ball just as hard back at me.
[ Author: Guest: ryan carter | Posted: Apr 29, 2003 1:25 AM ]

Yes Duker, you are correct, I agree. I don't think that many people realize how fundamental Louie was in the Angels becoming a bettter team over the past few years. He certainly did not have a well defined role, but he took the ball and worked well with any situation presented to him.

I have followed Louie's career since he was in little league; he is a few years older than I am, as is his brother Brian. But we all knew this kid was a diamond ever since he was a kid. His dad was a super athlete as well , so I think they must have superior genetics.

Anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed that Lou will flourish and that we will see him back here relatively soon!! Take care!
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Feb 3, 2003 5:54 PM | HT Fan ]

Hanshin has three non-Japanese players this season: Arias, Williams, and Pote, only one of whom, Arias, was here last year.

Umm - what about Trey Moore - isn't he staying too?
[ Author: Guest: Duker | Posted: Feb 4, 2003 8:12 AM ]

I don't mean to sound ignorant in regards to Japanese Baseball, but if someone could please enlighten me to how many games a season are played? When does the season start? Are there play-offs or a World Series type of situation at the end of the season to determine a champion of Japanese baseball?

Again this is my first time being involved in this type of situation. Does anyone know if their is a way for me to get baseball games via website or preferrably live via satellite? Thanks for your help.
About Pro Yakyu
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 4, 2003 8:55 AM | YBS Fan ]

- [H]ow many games a season are played?

Currently, it is 140.

- When does the season start?

See the FAQ on the subject [Link].

- Are there play-offs or a World Series type of situation at the end of the season to determine a champion of Japanese baseball?

Currently there is no play-off system, but there are talks of perhaps incorporating one in the future. At the end of every season, the Pacific League and Central League champions play a seven game Nihon Series.

- Does anyone know if their is a way for me to get baseball games via website or preferrably live via satellite?

This should be in the FAQ - definately a prime candidate. Try this search query for a number of attempts at answering this.

The best way to come up to speed on Pro Yakyu is to read through the News and Ask the Commish forums here. There's enough information to write a book or two.
[ Author: thataboy1 | Posted: Feb 5, 2003 10:22 PM ]

Hanshin got a quality guy in Pote. They have a pitcher who is very flexible. If he stays consistant he will prove to be a great pick-up. I wish him all the luck with his new club.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.