Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2002 Nippon Series Game 3

Discussion in the NPB News forum
2002 Nippon Series Game 3
Got a late start this evening. When I tuned in, the Lions were up 0-1 with Chang on the mound and Kiyohara at bat in the top of the second. The chanting from the Giants' fans was deafening at Seibu Dome. This is a sharp contrast to the volume level of Seibu fans at Tokyo dome the past two games.

And Kiyo hits a game tying home run! Boy, do I have timing or what?

[...]

Going to the bottom of the second, I see that it is Kudoh on the mound for the Giants.

I'm afraid that I have a deadline for work that I need to get done, so I can't give a play-by-play this evening. I'll pop in to write when "things happen," though.

Game Three is underway.
Comments
Top of Third
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 29, 2002 7:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Giants put a pair of runs on the board in the top of the third.

Etoh led off with a (ruled) base hit off the glove of Little Matsui that went all the way to the left field wall in foul territory. Etoh went to second before anyone could reach the ball. He was sacrificed to third, then Shimizu came through with the timely hit.

Nioka followed that with a double off the fense just right of center, moving Shimizu to third.

With the infield in and one out, Takahashi hit a one bounder over Chang. Matsui fielded it quickly and threw home to get Shimizu. Nioka moved to third on the fielder's choice.

Big Matsui, though, after three straight balls, got a few good pitches that he fouled off (except the first one that he watched for strike one) then lined the ball off the fense just right of center. It was just about the same place that Nioka hit the ball. Nioka scored easilly, and the throw to the plate held Takahashi at third with Matsui standing on second.

Chang got Kiyohara swinging hard for the final out. The the Giants took the lead 1-3.
Lions' Pitcher Out in Fourth
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 29, 2002 7:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

Once again the Lions' starter can't make a "quality start." Chang has ben pulled with nobody out in the fourth inning and runners at second and third. Failure to cover first in time on a grounder to first by Abe was the danger sign, then yet another double knocked him out.

Mitsui came in and walked Etoh to load the bases, and things aren't looking good for the home team.

Nishi helped Mitsui out by popping up a high 2-2 pitch to Cabrera in foul territory off first.

Shimizu lined his first pitch to Ohtomo in center. The throw in to the cutoff man in the middle of the infield allowed the runner at second to return. He'd have been double off easilly if Ohtomo had noticed him!

Everybody held as the liner wasn't deep enough.

To rub salt into the Lions' wounds, Nioka goes deep! It's going, going, Ohmoto at the wall jumps, but it's gone! Grand slam home run!

That puts the Giants up 1-7, and pretty much seals their fate. It's a reply of the first two games, when the Lions' pitching just couldn't stop the Giant rallies.

[Tomoaki Satoh is in center for the Lions - not Ohtomo.]
Giants Strike Again
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 29, 2002 9:02 PM | YBS Fan ]

With two down in the top of the seventh, Gotoh grounded what looked like out number three to first. But head sliding into the bag, he just beat out the throw to Hsu.

Abe followed with a base hit up the middle that moved Gotoh to third, then Motoki singled him home up the middle.

The Giants put another string of hits together, looking like Yokohama's "machine gun offense" of years gone by.

Going to the bottom of the seventh, the Giants have increased their lead to 8-1.
Giants Add a Pair in Eighth
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 29, 2002 9:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

With two down and Nioka on first (having just knocked out Hsu), Yoshinobu Takahashi greats Doi by ripping a line drive into the right field stands for a two run home run. That gives all of the Giants' starting members at least a hit apiece.

It also gives the Giants a commanding 10-1 lead.
Just When You've Given Up Hope
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 29, 2002 9:23 PM | YBS Fan ]

Just when you've given up any hope of the Lions doing anything more than threaten former Lion Kudoh, Little Matsui leads off the bottom of the eighth with a solo shot to right-center. Yea! Only 8 more to tie this puppy up.

The only Lion who has noticably done anything against Kudoh has been McClain, who has three hits on the night. And they'd managed to get him over to third at least twice. Otherwise, the Lions' at bats hadn't been much.

Well, maybe McClain will get something going next inning.
McClain Didn't Do It
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 29, 2002 9:43 PM | YBS Fan ]

Nope. No such luck. With two down, nobody on, and McClain at bat, I'm sure that Scott wished Kudoh was still on the mound. But it was Johbe, and McClain hit an easy come backer to this evening's closer. The toss to first, and the the Giants have a 3 games to nothing lead.

The Lions can't afford to drop any more. I hope they can get their pitching and offense together tomorrow.
Series Comebacks
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 29, 2002 9:57 PM | HT Fan ]

What are the greatest comebacks in Nippon Series history? Has any team ever won after trailing three games to none?
Re: Series Comebacks
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 30, 2002 6:18 AM | YBS Fan ]

It has happened three times:

1958 - Nishitetsu came back from three down against the Giants
1986 - Seibu came back from three losses and a tie against Hiroshima
1989 - The Giants came back to win four in a row against Kintetsu

So a dramatic come back isn't out of the question.
[ Author: mike_edwards | Posted: Oct 30, 2002 11:14 AM ]

'86... wasn't that the Series where Kiyohara was standing at first base crying his eyes out as the game was coming to a close?

I remember the '89 Series. That's when Nakahata hit his final home run in his final at bat... really exciting series.

[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 30, 2002 2:40 PM | HT Fan ]

I thought Kiyohara was crying his eyes out in the 1987 Series because the Lions were about to beat the Giants -- the team he dreamed of playing for as a kid.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 30, 2002 5:11 PM | HT Fan ]

Didn't Kiyohara also cry when he didn't get picked for the Giants and his PL schoolmate Kuwata did? I've seen footage of Kuwata's post-draft interview, in which he says "I feel sorry for Kiyohara-kun..."
A tie?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 30, 2002 11:26 AM | HT Fan ]

In a playoff game? How deliciously wacky.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.