Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bun Bun Maru Takes Final Swings

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Bun Bun Maru Takes Final Swings
This is the season for retirement games, as I've watched a number of them this past week or two. Yokohama's Nomura threw to the first batter last Sunday (Oct. 13), striking the batter out for his last mound appearance. The cerimony that followed was nice, Nomura and all of the fans were full of smiles as this veteran pitcher headed off to retirement.

I don't think there was a dry eye at Jingu this evening (Oct. 17) for Yakult's "Ikeyama Night." Ikeyama played the entire game despite the fact that he was having a lot of trouble with his knees.

When he struck out to end the game in the bottom of the 10th, the noise level didn't decrease at all. The fans were with him all the way. Hiroshima's Hasegawa, after striking him out, came up to the beloved veteran, tipped his hat and shook Ikeyama's hand. I'm sure that even he was rooting for Bun Bun Maru to get one more hit.

Ikeyama did hit a double to left in the 8th inning. I really thought his knees were going to give out, but he hung in there for the complete game.

After a video of his career on the big screen in center, [Akiyama] Ikeyama thanked the crowd, the Carp for staying through the cerimony, his kids, team mates, and many more. By the end of his speech, there wasn't a dry eye in the place. (I was glad that I had a box of tissues nearby as well.)

Otsukaresama Ikeyama.

[Edited by: admin on Mar 1, 2003 5:06 PM JST]
Comments
Re: Bun Bun Maru Takes Final Swings
[ Author: Guest: JinguLover | Posted: Oct 18, 2002 6:56 PM ]

I am glad you brought this topic up. It really was a very emotional scene at Jingu. I was quite upset with the Daily Yomiuri for having nothing about Ikeyama's retirement, even though it was a moment of such great importance.

Ikeyama can be considered one of the greatest hitters to ever play for the Yakult Swallows, as I think he is the only person on the team who has hit over 300 homeruns. Hirosawa has hit over 300, but his last 6 years or so have been with the Giants and Tigers. His batting style "bun bun maru," his "akarui" personality, his role as a leader on the team, and even his strikeouts will be a memory for all those who saw Ikeyama play yesterday...
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.