Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Golden Castle

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Golden Castle
Aladdinsane-san wrote this great article about Matsui's bid for the Triple Crown. But he forgot to mention one up and coming 'Star who is still a bit short on at bats, Yokohama's Kinjoh.

With the rash of injuries to the otherwise consistent Yokohama lineup, 2nd year Kinjoh got a chance to play every day. And he's made the most of it. In 40 (or so) games, Kinjoh is hitting a .409 clip. The only thing keeping Kinjoh off the front page for batting over .400 is the fact that he's only got about 150 at bats, 58 at bats short to qualify for a title, still. With 69 games remaining, averaging 4 at bats per game, that'll be about 276 more at bats, totaling 426 at bats for the year. Since the BayStars have had one tie which needs to be replayed, team players need a total of 136 * 3.1 = 421 plate appearances. At such a pace, he'll make 426 total plate appearances, just enough to qualify. Batting #2 in the lineup, he may even qualify by mid-September. Then how the press will play it up!

Already Kinjoh has accomplished a feat that not even Nomura-kantoku (2nd in all time hits) has, 5 hits in a single game. Of current players, team mate Rose holds the record with 5 hits in a game four times.

In 1999, Kinjoh's first year, he played at 1-gun in 6 games going 2 for 11. I believe that that qualifies him for the Rookie of the Year Award this season. And I haven't been hearing the word "Golden Rookie" at all in the press this season to describe any outstanding freshmen. I can't imagine that it'll be long before "Golden Castle" (Kin = "gold", joh = "castle" - like my daughter's name "Jobana" = "Castle Flower" [yes, I use different spelling conventions than NPB uses]) becomes "Golden Rookie" in the press.

Does anybody have any better nominees for RotY? Hit "Reply" below and tell us about them.

[Updated layout format on Feb 14, 2005 8:58 PM, JST]
Comments
Update on Batting Title Race
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 21, 2000 2:23 AM | YBS Fan ]

As of the end of play on 7/19, here's how the Central League batting tile race stands:

1. Rose (YBS)    .339

2. Yamazaki (CD) .238

3. Matsui (YG)   .318

4. Martinez (YG) .315

5. Nishi (YG)    .310

----

x. Kinjoh (YBS)  .386

Kinjoh should appear on the above list in another 16 or so games.  Will he make his debut on top?

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.