Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yokohama Signs Ernie Young

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Yokohama Signs Ernie Young
I just saw a short interview with the newest BayStar, Ernie Young. All I know of him is that he claims to have power (something nobody else on the team has), he's an outfielder who was playing for AAA Tuson, and he signed for 4,000-man yen, ranked 16th on the team even with Turman.

So, what's the scoop on Young? Is he going to help the 'Stars catch Nori and Tuffy in home runs? Or will he be fooled by the dreaded out-low breaking balls that so many foreign players have a weakness for?

Nonetheless, welcome to Yokohama.
Comments
Re: Yokohama Signs Ernie Young
[ Author: Guest: Jeff Matlock | Posted: Jun 7, 2002 11:33 AM ]

Ernie Young will be 35 next month. Oakland drafted him out of Lewis University in Illinois in 1990 (10th round). His MLB debut came for the A's in '94 and by '96 he was an everyday player, with 19 HR's and 64 RBI. He spent '98 with the Royals and '99 in Arizona, getting his final 11 major-league at-bats that year while hitting 30 homers with the Diamondbacks' AAA club in Tucson. More recently he's had a 30 home run season with AAA Memphis and been a rightfielder on the USA's gold medal 2000 Olympic team. His weight is said to have increased from 190 to 234 in the decade following his selection in the MLB draft.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.