Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Opening Day game review

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Opening Day game review
Pa-League Power Review
by Pa-League no Aniki

Hi Fellow Japanese Pro-Yakyuu fans,

I'm Toshiya known among my gang as Pa-League no Aniki (the Big Brother figure of the Pacific League). As you can see from my nickname, I prefer the rather low-profile Pacific League teams to the more star-studded Central League. I'm a Marines and Ham Fighters fan but tried to give a fair review of the televised Season's Opener at Sapporo Dome between the Seibu Lions and the Chiba Lotte Marines. I don't think many of you are Pacific League fans, and I hope I don't bore you with my long play-by-play.

Marines
1. Kosaka (ss)
2. Morozumi (cf)
3. Fukuura (1b)
4. Bolick (dh)
5. May (lf)
6. Otsuka (rf)
7. Sawai (3B)
8. Satozaki (c)
9. Sakai
P. Minchey
 Lions
1. Matsui (ss)
2. Ozeki (rf)
3. Suzuki (dh)
4. Cabrera (1b)
5. Wada (lf)
6. McClain (3b)
7. Otomo (cf)
8. Ito (c)
9. Takagi (2b)
P. Matsuzaka

Top 1st Marines / Marines 0 - 0 Lions

Matsuzaka's first pitch was, just as he had anounced the day before, a 148km/h fastball. Kosaka tried working the count, made good contact and singled off Matsuzaka to center. Lions shortstop Little Matsui was too slow to react to Kosaka's grounder. "Red Bat Man" Morozumi advanced Kosaka to second on an exemplary sacrifice bunt. Fukuruka struck out swinging and Bolick struck out looking. The Mariners wasted the scoring opportunity. The new, expanded strike zone sure worked for Matsuzaka.

Bottom 1st Lions /Marines 0 - 0 Lions

Little Matsui swung on Minchey's first pitch and ground out to shortstop. Ozeki nearly had a seeing-eye grounder single through the gap between third and short, but Gold Glover Kosaka displayed his great range, made a beatiful catch and threw to first in time. Ken Suzuki also grounded out to short.

Top 2nd Marines / Marines 0 - 0 Lions

Matsuzaka threw his first curveball. Former club mananger Higashio (now commentator) said the boy had finally take his advice and learned the pitch. D. May grounded out to first. Otsuka popped out to third. The threesome looked like they were too nervous about the new expanded strike zone and couldn't lay off high inside pitches. Matsuzaka struggled with his location and walked Sawai. Matsuzaka fell behind in the count but struck out Satozaki.

Bottom 2nd Lions / Marines 0 - 0 Lions

Minchey broke Cabrera's bat in two, as he popped him out to left. Wada hit a scorching grounder to third, but Sawai made a diving catch and threw to first in time. McClain popped out to right.

Top 3rd Marines / Marines 0 - 0 Lions

Sakai made great contact and singled to right. Sakai, who has been working on his opposite-field hitting, had hit #1 off Matsuzaka. Kosaka advanced Sakai to second on a sacrifice bunt. Swift-footed Kosaka could have tried for one of those bunt hits. Morozumi grounded out to pitcher, but Matsuzaka made an error. Fukuura flied out to center. Matsuzaka struck out his "Archrival" Bolick looking. Another expanded-zone strikeout pitch for Matsuzaka. The game looking to be a pitchers' duel.

Bottom 3rd Lions / Marines 0 - 0 Lions

Otomo grounded out to third. Ito grounded out to shortstop. Hiroshi Takagi grounded out to short. Minchey looking to pitch his first no-no? Gimme something to write about, Lions!!

Top 4th Marines / Marines 0 - 0 Lions

D. May lined out to second. Otsuka swung out on a tilted slider that slipped away from the strike zone. Sawai grounded out to second. Matsuzaka regained composure.

Bottom 4th Lions / Marines 0 - 0 Lions

Little Matsui grounded out to third. Ozeki worked the count but grounded out to shortstop. Ken Suzuki grounded out to short. Commentator Kuriyama commended Minchey's mixture of inside pitches (fastball, curveball and sinker) against lefties. So far the Lions' opposite-field hitting hasn't been working.

Top 5th Marines / Marines 0 - 0 Lions

Satozaki couldn't cope with Matsuzaka's inside fastball (which wasn't quite fast enough, but I will talk about it later) and grouned out to second. Sakai hit a fly ball to the gap between second and right. They nearly had a collision, but rightfielder made a catch. Kosaka had an infield base hit to second. Kosaka led off first and distracted Matsuzaka but failed to run on a favorable count. Morozumi struck out swinging. Did Kosaka miss a sign? The Marines can't produce many runs. They have to do those little things right.

Bottom 5th Lions / Marines 0 - 2 Lions

Cabrera hit an easy grounder to third, nearly got thrown out but first baseman Fukuura's foot must have lost contact with the bag and Cab was safe. Wada singled to right. Right fielder Otsuka fumbled and Cab slid to third. Rare error for defensive expert Otsuka. McClain singled to left to drive him home. Otomo made a sacrifice bunt to advanced the runners. Ito popped out to second. Hiro Takagi singled to left to drove in another run. Minchey still looking cool displaying relatively good location. Marines sure have a bad habit of beating themselves on their own errors and bone-headed plays. Those bloopers cost Minchey at least 3 wins last season. Little Matsui flied out to center.

Top 6th Marines / Marines 0 - 2 Lions

Fukuura hit a double which looked like it was headed over center field into the stands, but hit the top of the fence. Bolick showed impatience at the plate and popped out to first on the first pitch. The pitch would have been called a ball. I would have fined him if I was the manager. Matsuzaka broke May's bat in two with a high, inside fastball and grounded him out. Catcher Ito distracted Otsuka as he got off of his knees to signal Matsuzaka to waste one high pitch, but Matsuzaka faked and threw a high strike to take advantage of the new strike zone. Otsuka struck out swinging.

Bottom 6th Lions / Marines 0 - 2 Lions

Ozeki grounded out to second. It wasn't an easy grounder, but second baseman Sakai displayed great fielding. If it weren't for his lack of physical strength, he can be a candidate to win a Gold Glove. Ken Suzuki grounded out to first. Cab popped out to left.

Top 7th Marines / Marines 0 - 2 Lions

Sawai worked the count but flied out to deep left. Matsuzaka developed a problem in the thigh but said he could keep on pitching and struck out Satogaki. Commentators started worrying the leg pain could wreck Matsuzaka's mechanics. Matsuzaka's 100th pitch was a strikeout curve to Sakai who swung on but missed.

Bottom 7th Lions / Marines 0 - 3 Lions

Wada singled to center. Wasn't pretty but found a hole through the infield. McClain struck out looking Minchey's high outside fastball. Otomo singled to right. Ito singled to center. Bases loaded. Minchey's and/or Satozaki's concentration seemed to be deserting them. Takagi fouled off a few of Minchey's strikeout pitches and drew a walk for another run. Pitching coach Ono called for a timeout, but as was always the case with him, his timing was one run too late. Little Matsui grounded out to shortstop Kosaka who didn't miss the chance to turn in a double play.

Top 8th Marines / Marines 0 - 3 Lions

Matsuzaka walked back to the hill, which wouldn't be a wise move for the long term. Kosaka popped out to third in the foul zone. Facing Morozumi, Matsuzaka further struggled with his command. Morozumi doubled to deep left-center. Fukuura grounded out to second to advance Moro to third. Bolick, as impatient as the previous at-bat, grounded out to second on the first pitch. C'mon, Yamamoto, bring Hatsushiba back!!

Bottom 8th Lions / Marines 0 - 3 Lions

Ozeki draw a walk from Minchey who started to battle with a relatively small control problem. Ken Suzuki's grounder leaped over first baseman Fukuura to become a hit-and-run single to right. Furuya pinch-ran for Suzuki. Cab grounded to third. Catcher Satozaki signaled Sawai to throw home to tag out Ozeki between third and home. Commentators called it a mistake, as the runners advanced to second and third. Tomoaki Sato pinch-ran for Cab. Minchey struck out Wada swinging. McClain got scraped by an inside pitch to take first base. Pitching coach Ono finally took the ball from Minchey and handed it to lefty setup-guy Fujita. What a waste of talent. Fujita should only pitch on winning games. The Lions brought in right-handed pinch-hitter Akada. But Fujita did his job anyway. Overmatched Akada (who should have spent a few more months in the 2-gun minors) popped out to shallow right.

Top 9th Marines / Marines 2 - 3 Lions

May singled off Matsuzaka to center. Ex-cleanup-man Hatsushiba pinch-hit for Otsuka. Pressure mounting for Matsuzaka, who had given up a few homers to Hatsushiba in previous seasons. Matsuzaka hit Hatsushiba with a pitch on his arm. That marked Hatsushiba's second hit by a pitch since the beginning of the spring training. Hatsushiba fought the pain and made a grin as he walked to first, obviously to put more pressure on struggling Matsuzaka. Pitching coach Matsunuma walked up to the hill to make sure Matsuzaka still wanted to pitch for 3 more outs. Matsuzaka said yes, but over-competitiveness on season's opener could be a double-edged sword. Sawai popped out to second. The Marines brought in their best pinch-hitter Yukihito Sato, who struck out swinging on a pitch too high to be called a strike even in the new strike zone. Lefty Hashimoto pinch-hit for Sakai and delivered a 2-run double that bounced off the top of the right field fence. Saburo pinch-ran for Hashimoto. Kosaka got a little impatient and grounded out to second. Matsuzaka post his career-first complete-game win on Opening Day.

Final Score X Marines 2 - 3 Lions O

Official release game attendance 40,000

All in all, it was just another game where the Marines nearly beat themselves in the early innings and tried to come from behind in the 8th and 9th but failed with their weak offense.

The Lions's problem, on the other hand, was that the team expected too much from their young "household name" staff ace Matsuzaka. Do they have some sort of TV/radio obligations? The Lions had a change of managers from "Mr. Matsuzaka Fan" Higashio to more level-headed Ihara, but their over-reliance on Matsuzaka (and also quite lame offense) remains unchanged.

The Marines, on the other hand, could have won without those little bloopers. 2 out of the 3 runs they allowed were proof that they needed to reinforce their fundamentals in defense. Their 2-run score against Matsuzaka was pretty par for the course, given their weak offense and the new, expanded strike zone. They need to shore up their offense by adding another .270 20HR 70RBIs type of hitter to the lineup. Bolick and May need protection behind them. Club owner Shigemitsu should spend more money on new gaijin talent. What is he doing with the money from those Koala-shaped chocolate cookies?

In the post-game "Hero Interview" Matsuzaka insisted his leg "stiffness" was a result of his good pitching, which tends to make his legs stiff as he uses his lower half a lot. But none of his fastballs ever made it to the low 150's range. Is he hiding a pre-existing problem or two? Pre-injury or not, this complete game victory could affect Matsuzaka's mid-and-late season performance. He is developing a curveball to pitch well for another 5, 10 years (that's what he said pre-game through one of the TV guys) but Matsuzaka should continue to struggle as the season wears on. His curveball is still unpolished, his location nearly as wild as last season, and his fastball nowhere near his career-fastest 156km.

It was otherwise a happy Opening Day victory for many of the Seibu fans, but there must be more than a handful out there who sensed something is not going right for their team. Cab was a bit out of sync and didn't once hit a fly ball to deep outfield. Little Matsui was hitless. They won the game on runs produced by the little guys on the bottom of the lineup.

The Marines, on the other hand, barely showed they could look for a spot in the A Class if they got rid of their decade-long Underdog Mentality and do whatever it takes not to sink beneath the 4th spot until their 1-2 combination of Kuroki and Sunday Shigo regain their health to make the rotation.

[Minor format changes by: westbaystars on Mar 30, 2002 6:41 PM]

Comments
Great Review
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 30, 2002 8:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

This is just the kind of game summary that I like. Great job!

Did anybody else notice that Minchey not only had a no-no through 4 innings, but that he was perfect until Cabrera beat out that infield hit to third huffing and puffing? When he went to third on Wada's single to right (was it a hit and run?), I was thinking that they might send in a pinch runner for him right there. He looked like he was having a hard time catching his breath. Might stamina be a problem he's facing right now?

And I'm concerned about Matsuzaka, too. 100 pitches after 7 innings, and he threw the whole game? I thought that I had read that Ihara-kantoku said that he was going to keep Matsuzaka at or around 100 pitches. This isn't a good start, even if he did get the win.

Lotte had gotten my hopes up there in the 9th (after switching back from watching my 'Stars lose). I had willed Hashimoto's hit over the right field fense, but the fense was just a little too tall for him. Still, it brought the Marines to within one run! Ah, oh, well.

- What is he doing with the money from those Koala-shaped chocolate cookies?

I'm not sure, but he's starting to lose my money by not producing Almond Big Bars (even the "mini" version) any more. It seems that they're only available during the winter - at least at my local Daiei supermarket. Well, there's always a need for Black-Black.
Re: Great Review
[ Author: Pa-League no Aniki | Posted: Mar 31, 2002 1:24 AM ]

Thanks for your reply, westbaystars. Yes, I am sure Cabrera going to third on Wada's single was a hit-and-run. With Cabrera's speed (or the lack of it), it couldn't have been a run-and-hit. Last year's opener was a Lions' loss to the Marines. Wada, now converted to outfield, was the starting catcher for the Lions. His not-so-brilliant game calling last year cost Matsuzaka his first win of the season. The Lions had a 3-run lead over the Marines in the bottom of the 1st inning, but saw Matsuzaka pummeled in the ensuing innings. Still Wada posted pretty good numbers (.306 16HRs 34RBIs in his 82 game appearances, according to my Takara-jima baseball data book) to ensure himself an outfielder's job. Ihara succeeded in his gamble to start cement-footed Cabrera, but I don't think he will want to repeat the same strategy, not after seeing him puff and pant his way to third. Cab even made the likes of Hatsushiba and McClain pretty good aggressive baserunners.
Re: Great Review
[ Author: Guest: Tom Buske | Posted: Mar 31, 2002 7:06 AM ]

Yes, I agree that this was an excellent review of the game. I enjoyed reading it especially as I have Matsuzaka on my fantasy team. This was a great source of information to me as it is hard to find game accounts and starting lineups in English here in the States. Thank you very much and I look forward to seeing more of your reporting this season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.