Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

TBS not good for Yokohama

Discussion in the NPB News forum
TBS not good for Yokohama
Today's (2/4) Nikkan Sports had a short on TBS' problems reaching their new audience of Yokohama fans. Namely, their signal is rather poor to most of Yokohama and Yokosuka (where their 2-gun team is). This is something that I've been worried about myself, and had to angle my clock radio in various positions before I was able to finally get TBS. This is a major reason why I was kind of pulling for Nippon Housou to get the 'Stars.

Nonetheless, Shimizu-shacho (president of radio operations) stated that the problem isn't so much that TBS' signal doesn't reach Yokohama, but rather that Nippon Housou's signal comes in so much clearer, giving Yokohama residents the impression that TBS radio isn't clear. Shimizu-san, try listening to the radio on a southbound train from Tokyo. Nippon Housou comes in all the way, excluding the hilly/tunnelly area around Kamiooka. TBS fades out more often than in starting from Kawasaki. The commuter cannot listen to games on TBS. Period.

While both radio stations are located in Tokyo, TBS' antenna is located in Saitama, meaning that the signal has to go through Tokyo on its long trip south to Yokohama. Nippon Housou, on the other hand, has their broadcast antenna located in Chiba, so their signal has less resistance crossing Tokyo Bay to the Yokohama Bay area. There had been talk of TBS building an antenna in Kanagawa at one point, but with a 50-oku yen price tag, it looks doubtful that BayStars' fans will be able to pick up their home team's radio station with much ease in the near future.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.