So we know at this point that SoftBank is looking to import a bat toward the end of spring training. Takeuchi-COO, if you're your listening, here are a few options:
- Dallas McPherson, 3B, Florida Marlins - hit 42 bombs in AAA last year.
- Andy Marte, 3B, Cleveland Indians - former top prospect cleared waivers and is headed back to AAA.
- Mike Hessman, 1B/3B, Detroit Tigers - quad-A type, hit for consistent power in AAA for the last seven years but hasn't won an MLB job. Doesn't hit for much average.
- Craig Brazell, 1B/DH, Baltimore Orioles - SoftBank apparently passed on him after Seibu let him go last offseason, but he showed power in Japan last year. Probably needs an injury to make the MLB team.
- Jeff Bailey, 1B/OF, Boston Red Sox - been pretty good in AAA the last few years.
- Scott Thorman, 1B, Milwaukee Brewers - got a shot with the Braves but didn't hit. Has been pretty good in the minors, looks like another quad-A guy.
- Nelson Cruz, OF, Texas Rangers - the Hawks tried to get him twice last year. Even if Texas is willing to let him go, he won't get through waivers. Still, SoftBank can dream.
Any other ideas for the Hawks?