Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Matsui to Yankees?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Matsui to Yankees?
Hey Michael, I've been listening to the WFAN Sports radio, which is the most popular Sports Talk show here in NYC. They have been talking about Big Matsui possibly replacing Paul O'Neill in right field for the Yanks next season. I also heard from my friend in Tokyo that since Nabetsune knows Matsui will go to the Majors so the old man is going to throw him out before his free agency. I know Godzilla is still has 2 years to his free agency, but is there any rumors swirling around over there in the City of Edo that you heard recently about this matter?
Comments
Re: Matsui to Yankees?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 8, 2001 9:49 AM | YBS Fan ]

No, no new news. I heared that there were a number of scouts at last night's Giants-Swallows game to look at both Matsui and Yakult's K. Ishii (who was knocked out after just three innings). But today's newspaper didn't have any reviews from the scouts as it's had in the past.

All of this speculation about going to the Majors is just going to have to wait until the end of the season when ball players and perspective buyers can come out and say something. As it is now, anything said could be considered tampering.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Sep 15, 2001 3:07 AM | HT Fan ]

NOOOOOO!!!!!! Anywhere but the Yankees! I'd rather see him play for the hated Mets even. Please oh please be a fruitless rumor.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 15, 2001 2:27 PM | YBS Fan ]

Fear not. Watanabe-owner is desparately trying to convice Godzilla to stay with the Giants beyond when he becomes a free agent after next season. His latest plan is to put "more natural than natural" artificial turf in at Tokyo Dome. To Watanabe's disappointment, Matsui's comment on that was, "Artificial is artificial." It doesn't look like Matsui's impressed.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Sep 26, 2001 6:10 AM | HT Fan ]

Watanabe-owner is desparately trying to convice Godzilla to stay with the Giants beyond when he becomes a free agent after next season.

The Yankees and other large-market MLB teams could easily throw 8, 10 million dollars his way. I suspect the Giants could match it, but is Matsui -- yes, even Godzilla himself -- worth that much? If I were Watanabe-owner, I
[ Author: Guest: ahou 1 | Posted: Jan 20, 2003 1:14 PM ]

New York needs a star player now more than ever. By bringing Matsui, how much money will pour in to Big Apple? I like Mr.Steinbrener. He wants to be the best. He wants New York to be the best.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 28, 2001 12:34 AM ]

Matsui to the Yankees? No way. I heard he is going to Hanshin Tigers. His favorite baseball team. Besides, I think Matsui is too Japanese for the US.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Sep 29, 2001 5:25 AM | HT Fan ]

Matsui to the Yankees? No way. I heard he is going to Hanshin Tigers. His favorite baseball team. Besides, I think Matsui is too Japanese for the US.

We'll just have to wait and see then, won't we?

[ Author: Guest: Ben | Posted: Nov 14, 2002 1:27 PM ]

I think Matsui should go to the U.S or to the Yankees.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 26, 2001 4:54 AM ]

i'm not sure about your assessment of the yankees as being "useless." They play in the biggest market in america (maybe the world) and thus any success he has there will translate to instant full credilbilty for pro yakyu. i've seen hideki hit in a couple of series against the tigers and swallows and he hit homers that would be out of any park anywhere in the world. he's a capable outfielder and a perfect fit for yankee stadium.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 28, 2001 3:51 AM | HT Fan ]

i'm not sure about your assessment of the yankees as being "useless."

I have very little respect for an organization that buys its titles. What's this year's Yankee payroll? $120 million? Ridiculous. Hideki could play anywhere and be an effective ambassador for Pro Yakyu. And like you said, Godzilla doesn
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 29, 2001 7:32 AM ]

Once again i think you're wrong, in your belief that the Yankees "buy" their titles. If you look at the team up the middle, their catcher, short stop, second baseman, and center fielder, as well as their ace left hander pitcher and closer all came out of the Yankees' farm system. Their payroll on opening day was 105 million dollars, just one hundred thousand more than the Red Sox and less than a million more than the LA Dodgers, two franchises that have spent as much as the Yankees but cannot claim as much success, which is an indictment of the belief that money some how equals success (as if how you spend the money or even how the team you field plays has nothing to do with it). Don't feel bad; many people all over the world have the same misconceptions of the Yankees as you do. The fact is that the Yankees are a rich but prudent organization and if they feel a hefty investment in a player like Matsui Hideki is a smart one then that means that japanese baseball has been legitamized completely in the states. Furthermore, any success a great player like Matsui would have on any other team would pale next to the accolades which would most certainly be heaped upon him if he were to succeed with the Yankees, which are, remember, the American equivalent to the Yomiuri Giants and play in the biggest, highest-profile city in North America. His professional manner on the field and in the clubhouse would fit as well in what has become famously the most professional team unit in baseball as his swing would fit in what is the most famous park in baseball. Please do not pretend that Japanese baseball has nothing to gain or in fact stands to lose something if their biggest star left joins the best baseball team in the world, it only serves to make you look ignorant and biased.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 30, 2001 12:00 AM | HT Fan ]

Money doesn't equal success??? When's the last time a small market team made it to the World Series? 14 years? And -- surprise, surprise -- both teams in this year's series are in the payroll top 10.

Get off your high horse before you fall -- just like your Yankees did this weekend. 0-2, 1 run in two games, with Schilling and Johnson to pitch at least one more time apiece... Better luck next year, NY.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 30, 2001 1:03 PM ]

I guess you're more interested in making boorish idiotic statements like "screw the Yankees" and talking trash rather than trying to make an intelligent statement. My apologies. If i had known i was dealing with a child i wouldn't have gotten involved. Nonetheless, the fact remains that the Yankees success is not soon to be paralleled by any other team in baseball no matter how much money a team spends because the make smarter personnel decisions than any other team. I'm sure the knowledgeable baseball fans will be able to comprehend that, and maybe someday you'll be smart enough to do so as well.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Oct 30, 2001 11:55 PM | HT Fan ]

I guess you're more interested in making boorish idiotic statements like "screw the Yankees" and talking trash rather than trying to make an intelligent statement. ... I'm sure the knowledgeable baseball fans will be able to comprehend that, and maybe someday you'll be smart enough to do so as well.

Ah, ya gotta love hypocrisy. Truth is, I'm both a baseball fan and a Yankee hater, who's oh-so sick of the current major league system. I wonder how many titles the Yankees would've won if MLB had a salary cap like the NFL, NHL and NBA. We'll probably never see one thanks to the players' union, just like we'll probably never be rid of the accursed DH.

Getting back to my first point, Matsui doesn't need to play for the Yankees to succeed. True enough, his career certainly wouldn't be hurt if he signed with the Bombers. But baseball would suffer in my opinion -- another example of the rich getting richer and, outside of NY fans like yourself, who wants to see that?

One more thing: a D-backs sweep would be doubly sweat. Not only would it send the Yankees packing, but it would also keep the Series in October where it belongs. No baseball in November!
Enough with the Personal Attacks
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 30, 2001 1:41 PM | YBS Fan ]

You both have some very good points. And I enjoy reading them. But please lay off the personal attacks. Each name calling diminishes the value of the preceeding arguments.

Now, back to your corners and keep the punches above the belt.
Truth about the Yankees
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Oct 31, 2001 12:00 AM ]

No one can deny Yankees buying players. Put it another way, they can maintain their roster with great players with expensive payroll. If this was the A's or the Royals, they wouldn't be able to retain players like Bernie and Jeter. Especially the pitcher. How can you have Mussina, Clemens, and Pettitte on the same team while talking about getting Jason Giambi for next year.
No matter how much they spend, the team will remain solvent. Teams like Oakland cannot survive unless the owners (esp. Steinbrenner) agrees to revenue sharing and players agree to salary cap. I'm going to get really sick if Giambi comes to NY next year. Go D-backs!!!
Re: Truth about the Yankees
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 31, 2001 10:24 AM ]

I want to make it clear, i'm not trying to say the money the Yankees have doesn't help them win, but, at the same time, i wouldn't say it guarantees success. If you need proof you can look at the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Texas Rangers, all of whom have spent exorbitant amounts of money on different facets of their teams but can't even come close to equaling the Yankees success. Secondly, only five of the top ten teams in Opening Day payrolls made the playoffs, meaning it is possible to make the playoffs with budget limitations but your success is still entirely dependent on whether or not your team can win when it counts the most (the a's and mariners for instance could not). I suppose we could argue both sides ad nauseum (which I think most people already have) but i think a look at all the teams' payrolls reveal that many teams have spent alot of money to field middling teams, and i seriously doubt that if every team had a 100 million dollar payroll, they'd all be as successful as the Yankees have been. What separates the good teams from the bad is their baseball decisions, not their financial ones (i.e. - the Yankees would not devoted 55 million dollars over five years to a pitcher with a career losing record as the Dodgers did with Darren Dreifort, a decision that i asure you they regret). As an aside, the only reason there is a chance of the World Series being played in November is because of the tragedies that occured in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, and therefore is no place for such immature "purist" notions that "no baseball should be played in November." I won't debate this issue further, so don't bother responding to it.
Re: Truth about the Yankees
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 2, 2001 12:18 AM | HT Fan ]

As an aside, the only reason there is a chance of the World Series being played in November is because of the tragedies that occurred in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, and therefore [there] is no place for such immature "purist" notions that "no baseball should be played in November.

Thanks for the banal insight. I fail to see how a purist notion is also immature but you can't seem to discuss a topic without throwing in an insult or two so I
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Nov 3, 2001 11:49 AM ]

Paul O'Neill of the New York Yankees has announced that he will retire after the World Series. That clears right field for Matsui. However, there is a lot of talk here in the U.S. that all-star first baseman Jason Giambi will be signed by the Yankees. This will cost the Yankees a lot of money. Even the Yankees might not have enough money for both Giambi and Matsui.
[ Author: Guest: Yankee Man | Posted: Dec 24, 2002 4:31 AM ]

LOL
[ Author: Guest: logan i love matsui so much | Posted: May 13, 2006 6:50 AM ]

I love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love Matsui so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love matsui fan logan
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.