Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Meeting Kei Igawa

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Meeting Kei Igawa
I live in Tampa, Florida and go to Jesuit High School. Today, our baseball coached talked to us about how the Yankees asked if a player could use our facilities. Our coach said the guy was the new Japanese player for the Yanks. I have been following the NPB for the last 3-5 years so I automatically knew it was Kei Igawa.

I saw him running sprints on our track with like 4 or 5 personal trainers. I decided I would walk up and introduce myself. It was pretty awkward when I walked up to the group. I asked if anyone spoke English, luckily one of the guys was a translator for the Yankees. When I mentioned I was a fan of his and of the Hanshin Tigers, I could see he was surprised and delighted. Igawa appears to be a pretty nice individual and I wish him the best in his first season in the MLB.
Comments
Re: Meeting Kei Igawa
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Feb 9, 2007 9:09 AM | HAN Fan ]

Wow - That was great! I'm sure Igawa appreciated a fan who knew who he was and where he was from.

You are in sharp contrast to the media-types who ask the same basic questions over and over again.

Congratulations!
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Feb 9, 2007 9:31 AM | NIP Fan ]

You should have congratulated him on his stealth wedding! (No, I'm just kidding.)

That is very cool that you got to meet him and say hi like that.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Feb 9, 2007 11:31 AM | CLM Fan ]

Congrats. Must've been fun, and Igawa seems like the type who'd really appreciate that. Iwamura seems very cool, too.
[ Author: Sole_SL | Posted: Feb 13, 2007 5:19 PM | SL Fan ]

That's awesome that Igawa was training in the school you're attending.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.