Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Braves Sign Shimabukuro

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Braves Sign Shimabukuro
The Atlanta Braves have signed 16 year old outfielder Ryohei Shimabukuro. Shimabukuro will join the Braves at the age of 16, which is the youngest permitted by MLB.

The Braves believe Shimabukuro has a big future. Braves International Scouting Agent Hiroyuki Oya said of Shimabukuro: "Out of all the players I've seen, he appears to learn the fastest."

Shimabukuro dropped out of Okayama Sanyo High School last year as a freshman. His mother hails from Aregentina while his father is Japanese.

http://www.japanball.com/news.phtml?id=7097
Comments
Re: Braves Sign Shimabukuro
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 4, 2006 8:45 AM | SFT Fan ]

The Braves expect Shimabukuro to start in a instructional league in Florida in September.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20060704TDY22003.htm
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jul 4, 2006 9:37 AM ]

That's a very interesting signing. Plus the esoteric nature of the post shows some impressive research.

We had a thread going awhile back about the possibility of a Japanese youngster leaving Japan to play in the US.Most thought it was not probable due to cultural differences and sense of community.

So here's a test case, though being half Japanese isn't like being the Full Monty Japanese. Dropping out of high school indicates he might have been having a tough time of it, so when opportunity knocks....

Anyway, I detest the Braves but wish the kid well.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 4, 2006 1:14 PM ]

Are Highschool Drop outs allowed to play pro baseball in Japan?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 4, 2006 4:48 PM | SL Fan ]

Dropping out of highschool and signing at age 16 is a huge gamble for someone in the developed world. I hope he does well, but...
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 4, 2006 5:25 PM | SFT Fan ]

Japan Times writer Jack Gallagher had a good article about Hanshin Tigers pitcher Kento Tsujimoto, who was drafted at the age of 15 in 2005.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?sp20041203jg.htm

It is alarming, with players who are drafted or signed this early as in the Shimabukuro case. What if Tsujimoto or Shimabukuro career's fail? Then what? A education is a terrible thing to waste.

I wish both of them luck, but can't help feeling uneasy about the signing, as just what happens if it fails?

[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jul 5, 2006 5:10 AM ]

He might not have had much to lose.

If he fails to play pro ball, is he really worse off than he might be now, with no education?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 5, 2006 8:59 AM | SL Fan ]

If he happened to drop out, then sign with the Braves, he's got nothing to lose. But if he dropped out of highschool in order to sign with the Braves, it's a huge gamble.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 5, 2006 3:50 PM | SFT Fan ]

Shimabukuro dropped out of high school after a scandal involving the team's manager came to light, so I feel a little easier. I guess it comes down to my personal differences about the perceived value of education and the applied culture differences.

Though what will this kid do is he has a career-ending injury or his career doesn't pan out? The kid won't be going back to high school, and it will be tough for him to return to college.

Though the Braves have him going through a instructional league, which should help. Hopefully, Atlanta will be helping with somekind of education, as I just feel too insecure by this signing.

Shimabukuro is a catcher from Osaka, if he is to succeed to in Major League Baseball, like Johjima he will have to not only learn, but master English and Spanish. I wish the kid, the best of luck, as it's only good for him to succeed.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 5, 2006 7:29 PM ]

Would the Braves have still Signed Ryohei if he was 5-9 to 5-11 in height about 140 to 150 lbs?
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Jul 6, 2006 2:22 PM | SL Fan ]

Braves sent him to an instructional league in Australia!?
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jul 7, 2006 1:28 AM ]

That's interesting. They must be planning to bring him along very carefully so as not to be overmatched early on. Could be a legal or immigration issue as well.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jul 6, 2006 12:35 PM ]

It would not surprise me if the Braves provided him a tutor so he could get his high school equivalency degree. Even in the Dominican Rep, the baseball teams provide school for the younger kids. Thinking about it, it is probably illegal for the Braves to hire a 16 year old for full time work in the US without providing schooling. Private tutors are a requirement in the entertainment industry, where youngsters are working, for example.

Lastly, so what, the kid will learn English? That is a valuable skill back home. Let him have his shot and play some ball.What is a high school drop out going to do in Japan anyway?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jul 12, 2006 6:52 AM | SFT Fan ]

Well this Baseball America article shows that Shimabukuro is fluent in Spanish and speaks it well, and that the Braves could indeed have him play in the Venezuela Summer League, the Dominican Summer League, or in the U.S. minors in 2007.

Braves Pacific Rim scout Phil Dale so far said Shimabukuro's recieving skills are sound, but arm strength is below average at the present time, and will have to improve if he's to catch.

Though, Dave Nilsson, Pat Kelly, and Rod Carew are so far all impressed with his swing, calling it the best there.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.