Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yusaku Iriki to the Metropolitans!

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Yusaku Iriki to the Metropolitans!
The Mets signed Iriki-san to a $1 million contract, plus incentives. It's a one year deal with option.

His stats seem OK and most NPB pitchers transfer over to MLB with moderate production drop off, if that.

How do you think he'll do? What kind of stuff has he got? I'm not expecting another Nomo, but will he contribute? He'll likely be a reliever and emergency starter.
Comments
Re: Yusaku Iriki to the Metropolitans!
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 19, 2006 9:43 AM ]

Iriki will be a reliever and a spot starter as mentioned by the Mets. I see him comparing to a right handed version of Masato Yoshii or a better version of Yabu.

Iriki struck out 7.29 batters/per 9 innings. He went 6-7 with a 3.35 ERA in 28 games. [Goo Stats - in Japanese]
Iriki's Shuto vs. Righties
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jan 23, 2006 2:55 AM ]

Someone made a post on the a board about Iriki-san throwing a shuto. I am curious how he fared against righties only. Are there some stats in English on Irki-san showing how he did against righties only? Is the Shuto effective?
Re: Iriki's Shuto vs. Righties
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 23, 2006 8:52 AM | YBS Fan ]

A quick trip to Nifty Sports (in Japanese) shows this breakdown for Iriki in 2005:
Batter  AB   H   K  BB HBP HR   BA
Right 328 77 87 34 8 7 .235
Left 244 70 35 31 0 9 .287
Now let's average that per 100 at bats to better compare the two.
Batter *AB    H      K      BB    HBP   HR    BA
Right 100 23.48 26.52 10.37 2.44 2.13 .235
Left 100 28.69 14.34 12.70 0.00 3.69 .287
As you can see, he's fairly even with strike outs to walk against lefties, but strikes out twices as many righties as he walks. The hit batsmen against righties stands out a bit, though.
Re: Iriki
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Jan 23, 2006 3:03 PM ]

Thanks Westbay-san. This is interesting info. I was thinking the shuto might make him effective against lefties as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The HBP might be due to the shuto curving in toward a lefty, since it trails away from a righty, I read in one of the NY papers.

Anyway, he's an experienced pitcher, so he should do okay. He's not the answer for a situational reliever against lefties. I don't think he will start, but one never knows until Spring training is over. There is a slot open in the rotation for a #5 starter, but there are 3 other guys who will also compete for the spot, with Heilman the favorite.
[ Author: Guest: NPB over MLB | Posted: Mar 14, 2006 2:09 PM ]

Iriki: 2.0 IP, 0 hits, 1 walk, 3 Ks, and gets the win (2-0). Anyone think Iriki will make the opening roster?
[ Author: Guest: tyruschen | Posted: Mar 21, 2006 7:23 AM ]

I don't understand this. Since Iriki pitched far more HBP against righties, doesn't that mean his "shuto" curves toward righties? Doesn't the New York papers get it right?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 22, 2006 3:50 AM ]

So far Iriki is 2-1 with a 5.06 ERA in 4 games this Spring with the Mets. [MLB Stats]
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Mar 27, 2006 1:46 AM ]

I think he may be a longshot and may start in Norfolk.

Pedro Feliciano, who has done well in NPB, looks pretty good for a lefty spot on the Mets' roster. He has pitched well this Spring. It's reported that if he doesn't make the club, he wants to return to NPB to play for Bobby V.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 2, 2006 12:51 AM ]

Both observations have now occured. Iriki will be a starter at AAA Norfolk. He had trouble adjusting the the grip of the ball, so more, steady work will be good for him. Feliciano is the lefty out of the pen. No NPB for Jose this year.

[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 2, 2006 3:03 PM ]

That's Pedro, not Jose.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 7:50 AM ]

Talk about a tough break....Zambrano tweaked his hammy, so even though Feliciano was announced to make the team, they switched him at the last minute with Darren Oliver. Oliver is a lefty reliever who has started in the past, so he is insurance. Pedro goes to AAA Norfolk with Iriki, at least temporarily.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 12:51 PM ]

I hope Iriki can comeback soon to the Majors , he just messed up in spring with all those walks.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 3, 2006 1:20 PM ]

I think he is a better pitcher than he showed in spring training. I read that the mlb ball felt different to him than that in NPB. His last outing was good. Unfortunately, it will take an injury for him to see alot of MLB action.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 17, 2006 6:10 PM ]

Iriki's last start in the minors,

5 innings 1 hit, 2 bb, 5 k's.

Seriously the mets need to send down Julio and bring up Iriki.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 18, 2006 12:52 PM ]

Good to see Iriki coming around. The Mets brought up Feliciano today, however. Julio is putrid and technically, he could be sent down without his consent, but I think he is out of options. So he will get to pitch during garbage time.

I don't think there is a slot for Iriki unless a starter gets hurt.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 18, 2006 1:26 PM ]

Why is Darren oliver in the mix?Iriki is way better then Oliver, but since the mets are winning i guess it doesnt matter.
[ Author: Guest: Ed kranepool | Posted: Apr 19, 2006 11:39 AM ]

Iriki had problems controlling his pitches in spring training and Oliver was a bit better. Oliver is also a lefty.

Iriki-san was given his release today to open up a slot for Feliciano on the 40 man roster. Someone should pick him up as a starter. he wasn't going to get a shot with the Mets, barring injury.
[ Author: Guest: npb over mlb | Posted: Apr 19, 2006 11:48 AM ]

Nice way to spend a million dollars Mets.... sign him and dump him.

Dodgers can use Iriki.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 19, 2006 12:59 PM ]

I don't get it. They release Iriki but keep Jose Lima?

Iriki was at least pitching fairly well at AAA Norfolk.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Apr 19, 2006 1:16 PM ]

I agree. Lima stinks. Iriki will get picked up.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.