Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yokohama Dome?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Yokohama Dome?
Westbay san.

I am hearing rumors that Yokohama Baystars is moving to a new stadium/dome. Is this true? If so, where are they going to build the new baseball stadium?(hope it isen
Comments
Re: Yokohama Dome?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 12, 2001 9:10 PM | YBS Fan ]

Lots of good questions here this evening (JST). Let's start with the subject.

- I am hearing rumors that Yokohama Baystars is moving to a new stadium/dome. Is this true?

There was a signature collection site linked from BayStars.net, but it isn't there any more. I haven't heared/read if they had gotten enough signatures or not, yet.

The proposed location was the land fill between Minato Mirai 21 and Yokohama Station. That location would be a great deal better, IMHO, than Kannai as more trains will have better access. Up until last month I was working near Yokohama Station, well within walking distance of the proposed site (I consider a 20 minute walk to be close - others may not), giving it particular appeal. Unfortunatly, I'd been transferred back to the Ebisu branch, doubling my commute time and making it impossible to return home before the start of a game.

- I have also heard that many of the Yokohama fans as well as the playes want to have a natural grass ball park.

That's been the trend lately, to want to bring back natural grass. When the petition site was up, I didn't see any plans for a stadium. But I do recall reading that something like Safeco Field, with a retractable roof and natural grass, was being considered. What eventually will come out of it is anyone's guess at this point.

- And is it true that Chiba Lotte Stadium will have natural grass from next season?

That depends on what you consider "from next season." The plan is to convert to natural grass after next season, for the beginning of 2003.

I've been impressed by Chiba's front office the past few years. They are really listening to their fans. Many in their front office have proposed putting a dome over the Candlestick-like swirling wind stadium, but the fans have repetedly asked for natural grass. It's good to see the fans' will win out.

- If so, will it be like most other Japanese ball parks with dirt infield or like the American parks with grass infield.

Again, that's a "wait and see what happens" thing.

- I have an impression that the dome frenzy is dying out. What is your opinion on this matter.

I think that all of the influence over the past several years from increased exposure to MLB is starting to take hold. The beautiful lawns of many of the MLB stadiums can hypnotise one into longing for it. But with all the rain we get here in Japan, it's hard to say that management and fans alike are going to completely dump the idea of domed stadiums all together. I know I'd much rather see a game in Sapporo Dome than at Maruyama Kyujyo. Especially during the Spring and/or Fall months (although Maruyama may have more appeal on an August Sunday afternoon).

A ballance with nature needs to be found whereby more natural grass can be used and still handle the large amounts of water that fall from the heavens every year. And there just aren't many fans willing to be rained on for three hours on a given evening. (I brought my daughter to Yokohama Stadium when she was two, but as it started sprinkling before the game started, the friends I met there, my daughter, and I all decided it best to head some place dryer. Had Jobana not been there, ...)
Re: Yokohama Dome?
[ Author: hamadora | Posted: Nov 14, 2001 5:24 AM ]

Thankyou Westbay san..

And you have a lovely daughter. Maybe we
Off topic: Family
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 14, 2001 1:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

Since neither my wife or I are Japanese, they're both U.S. citizens only - even though Jobana had only visited the U.S. for two weeks when she was 6 months old and her younger brother Jovian (almost three years old now) has never set foot outside of Japan. Although I carry a U.S. passport, I don't consider myself American (USAan) any more, and should have my Perminent Residence card next month.

I'd been trying to convince Jobana to become the first female to play at Koshien, but she seems to be against the idea. Jovian, on the other hand, has gotten pretty good with the bat and ball, scaring all of the mothers in the park away who volunteer to pitch to him. I think his favorite part about baseball is being thrown in the air for the banzai part of the BayStars' song, sung when ever we score.

Banzai! (toss) Banzai! (toss) Banzai! (toss)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.