Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Softbank's Uniform?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Softbank's Uniform?
I really enjoyed the Japan Series online. I noticed that Softbank has two short horizontal 'stripes' on their uniforms, on the shoulder, and on the caps. Sort of like the Japanese character for the number '2'. What does this mean?

Also, I noticed that the 2 Japanese characters for Chunichi are the first characters in the 2-character representation for China and Japan respectively. And when I translated the characters for Chunichi into Chinese, it means 'Japan'. If you translate the 2 characters separately into Japanese, they mean 'in' and 'day'. I'm curious as to what business the Chunichi company is in and whether it has any connection with the meanings of the characters in its name. I hope this question makes sense.
Comments
Re: Softbank's Uniform
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 24, 2011 9:15 PM | YBS Fan ]

First, with regard to the two yellow stripes on SoftBank's uniforms, that was added to the uniform after SoftBank purchased the team from Daiei (a supermarket chain). If memory serves, the two stripes were to represent a historic revolutionary from Kyushu, but his name escapes me and I was unable to find it with a quick search. The two yellow stripes have also been used on SoftBank publishings as part of their logo since the 1980s.

Chunichi is the name of the Dragons' parent company, Chunichi Shimbun (Newspaper). It is located in Nagoya and was known as 中部日本新聞社 - Chubu Nippon Shimbun-sha or Central Region Japan Newspaper Company. Chubu [Japanese Wikipedia] is the central region of Japan, shown in dark green on this Wikipedia map. Nonetheless, 中 is for Central (another meaning of the character) and 日 is for Japan (as you suspected).

Hope this helps clear things up.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 25, 2011 4:36 AM ]

The name of the revolutionary is Ryoma Sakamoto, an idol of the owner of SoftBank. You can see the two-stripe flag on this Wikipedia page about him.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 25, 2011 9:18 AM | YBS Fan ]

Thank you, Infimum-san, for the follow up information. It's great when history and baseball come together.
Re: Softbank's Uniform?
[ Author: rhdorsey | Posted: Nov 26, 2011 5:58 PM ]

Thank you Westbay-san and Infimum-san. That explains things much better. And now I know all 8 prefectures of Japan (if I can remember Chubu and Chugoku!).

One more thing: I see now that Chunichi is an acronym with 'Chu' for Chubu and 'Ni' for Nippon. What does the 'Chi' part stand for?

Also, I would love to see the Asia Series online, but I don't see it being broadcast anywhere, at least on www.justin.tv. Do you know of any other site that might broadcast it?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 26, 2011 9:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

The second character, 日, is "nichi" - not just "ni." Yes, it is the first character "Ni" as in 日本 (Nippon). But it gets more complicated than that since the small, silent っ responsible for doubling the next consonant is also included in the 日 part, unless you decided to pronounce 日本 as "Nihon" (also valid). Volumes can and have been written on the written language and how Westerners can learn it. There are many better resources out there for studying Kanji than here.
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Nov 27, 2011 5:07 AM | CHU Fan ]

- I would love to see the Asia Series online, but I don't see it being broadcast anywhere, at least on www.justin.tv. Do you know of any other site that might broadcast it?

Actually, it has been on Justin.tv, at least the evening games (since I'm on the East Coast of the US, I'm asleep when the afternoon games are taking place). I've been using the justin.tv mobile app and finding the games pretty quickly under the "Sports" section.
[ Author: rhdorsey | Posted: Nov 27, 2011 4:38 PM ]

OK, thanks. I was thinking that Chunichi was a short form of Chubu Nippon, or Central Japan. I was thinking it was sort of an acronym composed of the first syllable of Chubu, Nippon and something else. But I see that I am evidently thinking like a Westerner.

Yes, I see that the Asia Games are being carried on justin.tv. What time is the final game on Tuesday?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 29, 2011 10:37 AM | YBS Fan ]

The final game between SoftBank and Samsung will be this evening (Nov. 29) at 8:00pm JST. Please check for time/date in your area.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.