Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

No Eastern/Western League MVPs?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
No Eastern/Western League MVPs?
In bumping into the fact that Ichiro actually has at least five MVP awards knotched on his bat (one MLB [and counting,] three NPB, and one HWL [yeah, I know, but it's a kick if your a fan of his!]). I thought to check my BBRBs and see if he'd also reeled one in for his big batting championship in the Western League back in 1992.

I was very surprised that the BBRB at least carries no records for any voted awards. I find this rather strange, since Japan loves to present awards as much as any nation, maybe more.

Neither of my books nor my memory of news articles includes any, but is there a MVP- or Sawamura-type voted award in the Japan "Fresh" Circuit that I've missed?

Thanks for any help!
Comments
Re: No Eastern/Western League MVPs?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 24, 2005 10:50 PM | YBS Fan ]

Paying little attention to the farm teams (other than going to chear for the SeaRex a few times each year since they're a 15 minute walk from home), I never really thought about it. I thought I had seen a Monthly MVP Award in Shukan Baseball before, but that's about it.

So, I went to the Western League's Official Site [in Japanese only] to see what I could find. I found the Monthly MVP Awards (be careful not to "Close Window" as the page is made to be a pop-up), and Suzuki Ichiro was the first ever recipient - for April of 1992. I don't know if they stopped after 2003 or if they just forgot to update for 2004.

I see a "Big Hope Award" in all of my Baseball Record Books since 1996 - but that's when I started collecting them. That kind of sounds like the equivalent of the MVP Award, and is the only one that isn't the "Leading Something-Or-Other." I'm afraid that a quick Google has let me down looking for a "1992" "Big Hope Award" and "Western League" (all in Japanese), though. Still, I think that's what you might want to concentrate your further search on.

Good question. Never really thought about it before.
Re: No Eastern/Western League MVPs?
[ Author: Cardiff Carp | Posted: Jan 26, 2005 5:05 AM | HIR Fan ]

Some interesting names come up. From a Carp point of view, Kanemoto in July of 1993 and Asai in August the previous year.

These "awards" seem rather political - a quick scan suggests that each team gets one MVP award per year every year! The exception being 1995 when I can only assume the Dragons were awful!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.