Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Visiting the Hall of Fame

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Visiting the Hall of Fame
I searched the site for this question and couldn't find the answer. My son and I want to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame at Tokyo Dome while in Tokyo in mid-March. I have reviewed the English web site for the Hall of Fame. What I am wondering is, since the exhibits will be marked and explained in Japanese, is there a translation English book available at the Hall so that we can read along w/the exhibits? If not, I may try to hire an English speaking guide to go w/us that day to translate (and I would be interested in knowing if any of you know such a person who knows a lot about Japanese baseball and is a good English speaker who would be interested in doing this).
Comments
Re: Visiting the Hall of Fame
[ Author: IloveJingu | Posted: Jan 18, 2005 12:24 PM ]

The Japanese Hall of Fame is in the Tokyo Dome, near Gates 1 (named after Oh) and 3 (named after Nagashima). I haven't been there in about 3 years, but I don't recall ever being able to get an English translation and was frustrated that I couldn't read all of the exhibits. It is possible that they have added an English translation guide in the last 2-3 years, but I don't know.

Your hotel might be able to get you a translator or guide. If you have friends in Japan, it would be a good idea to get an English-speaking student to help.
[ Author: kenwhy | Posted: Jan 18, 2005 6:04 PM | TYS Fan ]

I visited the HOF last month and they added an English translation for all the Hall of Fame inductees. Unfortunately, most of the exhibits do not have an English translation.
[ Author: Guest: Eileen | Posted: Jan 18, 2005 7:30 PM ]

Thank you, ilovejingu. You have confirmed my idea on the translator. I hope to find someone who knows Japanese baseball, but I suppose it may not matter much if the exhibits are well marked w/commentary.

By the way, we will be visiting your favorite stadium for a Swallows' pre-season game in March.
[ Author: Guest: Eileen | Posted: Jan 18, 2005 9:30 PM ]

Thank you kenwhy. I am going to get a translator/guide for this. I think there will be too much good info to pass up, and we won't know what we are looking at without it.

If anyone has any ideas on guides knowledgeable on Japanese baseball, please let me know.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 19, 2005 7:25 AM | NIP Fan ]

When I was there a year and change ago they had an English translation of the hall of famers, and they also had an English pamphlet that explained some of the exhibits - it was basically a translation of the pamphlet they give anyone who comes in. (Since photography is not allowed, it has some pictures of some of the exhibits.)

But overall I don't recall having issues understanding what any of the stuff was, and my Japanese comprehension is only JLPT 3 or so.

(Also, depending on how much it would cost you to hire a translator, I am not sure it's worth it, as the HOF isn't that huge. We were able to see all of it in like 45 minutes before taking in a game at the Dome. If you're expecting something like Cooperstown, you may be disappointed.)
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 19, 2005 10:10 AM ]

Deanna: Thanks for that info as I wasn't sure how extensive the HOF was. I am still thinking that if we have a guide for a day, we might go ahead and have her accompany us to the HOF. I'm not sure that we can walk up and get tickets to a pre-season game at Tokyo Dome, since the one we could go to is w/the Giants and Tigers (on 3/16). With those popular teams, I do not want to go there that day and not be able to get in and be disappointed. We will likley go to a Swallows game at Jingu instead. So we may just go to HOF on another day, and combine it with other things we want to use a guide for on that day.

I will take your info into consideration - thank you very much for the input.
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: Jan 20, 2005 1:07 AM | HT Fan ]

Eileen, I live ten minutes from the Hall of Fame (and am of course a fanatical baseball nut) and could probably serve as a guide if you haven't already arranged one. The last thing you want is a guide who's not a baseball fan and won't be able to read player names, describe things well in English despite understanding them, etc.

Send me an e-mail at heiankyo794 ==At== excite --dot-- co ==dot== jp.

Heian-794
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.