Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Swine Flu and Game Cancellations?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Swine Flu and Game Cancellations?
I've had a trip to Japan planned for a while now and I have tickets to see the Hanshin Tigers May 27th at home. I just saw in the news and was told by a friend in the Kobe/Osaka area that there is a widespread swine flu epidemic in that area and 2,000 schools closed. My friend said the game might be canceled, but she tends to be an alarmist about everything.

Has anyone heard anything about game cancellations? I'll be crushed if the game is canceled, it's been my dream to see Koshien for years now!
Comments
Re: Swine Flu and Game Cancellations?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 18, 2009 10:00 PM | YBS Fan ]

According to today's (May 18, 2009) Nikkan Sports (paper edition), several Kansai area sporting events have been canceled or postponed. Those include college baseball and the new Kansai Independent League games. Professional baseball for the next week at Kyocera Dome, Skymark (Kobe), and Koshien are still on, but that may change.

Hiroshima has moved from staying in Kobe to a hotel in downtown Osaka to start off inter-league play as the outbreak seems to be concentrated in Kobe. I had read that fans at Kyocera Dome were asked not to shoot off jetto fusen (the long balloons) so as to prevent possible spreading of germs.

The H1N1 influenza has "skyrocketed" in the Kansai area to 52 cases. (I saw a notice in the 1990s about the "cocaine epidemic" hitting Tokyo where there were 30+ cases in one year!) Wearing typical cold masks has become standard in most places where there is a lot of human interaction (like supermarkets, stores, and sporting events). Is it overreaction / alarmist? Looking through all of the hype, what's left appears to be that this strain of flu is no more or less likely to kill than any other - it's just that there is no vaccine against it.

Still, with this new type of flu in the air or not, one should still practice good hygiene, wash hands with soap after returning home and gargle. The kids have been told that since kindergarten, yet they still only grudgingly wash their hands. Will this change it? I've been a good example with the washing the hands part, now I'm trying to be so with the gargling as well.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: May 21, 2009 1:49 PM | HT Fan ]

- The H1N1 influenza has "skyrocketed" in the Kansai area to 52 cases. (I saw a notice in the 1990s about the "cocaine epidemic" hitting Tokyo where there were 30+ cases in one year!) Wearing typical cold masks has become standard in most places where there is a lot of human interaction (like supermarkets, stores, and sporting events). Is it overreaction / alarmist? Looking through all of the hype, what's left appears to be that this strain of flu is no more or less likely to kill than any other - it's just that there is no vaccine against it.

10,000 confirmed cases, 80 deaths. Less than a 1% fatality rate. I'd say it's alarmist. [World Health Organization]

My in-laws were here in California a couple weeks ago, and upon arrival back at Narita, someone came on the plane in a radiation suit and tested all the passengers. My in-laws were actually concerned about it.

I've always found the Japanese to be pretty alarmist about this stuff, BSE, SARS, and now this one.

But on the other hand, Japan has a dense population, so I could see the risk of transmission being higher than average. And they aren't the only alarmist ones; here in Northern California there were schools that were closed for up to a week.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: May 19, 2009 10:14 AM | YOK Fan ]

I highly doubt that NPB will cancel any games. I'd be shocked if they did now that inter-league play is right around the corner.

Enjoy your game and Koshien Stadium. And if you're looking for something to eat, why not try Koshien's Curry and Rice? It's pretty good and is special only to Koshien Stadium. I know that Curry and Rice is not typical baseball food but it'll make the experience all the better IMHO.
[ Author: gobuffs | Posted: May 20, 2009 4:17 AM ]

I have a close relationship with the president of the Orix Buffaloes and he has said that they are not planning on canceling any games up until the end of the month. I'm not sure the reasoning of this, but this is what came out of the meeting they had at the Dome on Sunday. They may require masks after this point.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.