Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Salaries in USD

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Salaries in USD
I was looking at your player profiles and was wondering how much these salaries are in US Dollars. I'm not really understanding the diction that is in place on the site.

For example, how much is 7,500-man in US Dollars?
How much is 5.5-oku in US dollars?

I'm just curious to see what the players make. Thanks.
Comments
Re: Salaries in USD
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 29, 2009 5:36 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, the first thing to understand is the units. In English one would say "1-thousand" to mean 1,000, or "1-million" is 1,000,000. These would be the units for salaries in North America (USD). In Japanese 1-man is 10,000, and 1-oku is 100,000,000. These are the units for salaries in Japan (JPY).

Armed with an understanding of salary units, one can then apply simple base-10 multiplication to get the salary value as a big number. So 7,500-man would be 75,000,000 and 5.5-oku would be 550,000,000.

The final step in our Fun With Math segment is to divide that number by the current yen to dollar value. For example, when I first came to Japan the rate was 350 yen to $1.00, so 5.5-oku yen would have been $1,571,428.57. However, the last time I checked, $1.00 was worth only 97 yen, so that would make that same 5.5-oku salary worth $5,670,103.09. Granted, the yen rate doesn't fluctuate quite that much within a given year (as that's the difference over 27 years), but I think that it does a good job of showing that the dollar amount is variable.

While I leave it as an exercise to the reader to decided on a yen rate to use, many people opt for the 100 yen per $1.00 rate. This makes math very simple. 5.5-oku yen become 5-million USD. 7,500-man yen becomes 750-thousand USD.

Hope this helps.
Re: Salaries in USD
[ Author: Guest: Brian W | Posted: Apr 30, 2009 3:39 AM ]

That's what I was figuring but couldn't make out that last zero. I was thinking some players were only making around $500,000 that had been in the league a while.

Thanks sir!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.