Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Imports to US

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Imports to US
Who seem to be the most likely canidates to come over to the US in the next couple of years? Wanting to come to the US is a huge factor. What is the word on either Matsui, Ishii, Nakumura, Matzumaka, or any others? I know that the players have to play for so long (8-10 years) before earning free agency unless they are posted. Do you see more JBall teams posting their free agents to US teams in fear of losing them outright the next season?

Thanks
Comments
Re: Imports to US
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 23, 2001 5:05 PM | YBS Fan ]

As much fun as speculating is, I'd rather just wait until October when players can start speaking about this.

I would like to note, though, that it's looking unlikely that either Matsui will be going until the end of next season. Seibu's Matsui says that he doesn't feel that he's ready. (That may still change after the end of the season, so don't give up hope all together.) And the Giants have no desire to give up Godzilla, even after he becomes a free agent after 2002.

Also, Yakult's Ishii, who at the beginning of the season requested to be posted at the conclusion of this season, has been having a sub-par year this year. So I wonder if he'll draw the interest that was expected before the season began. I would like to say, though, that it seems to me that he does well every other year, so I expect him to rebound well next year.

Am I avoiding the question? Perhaps. I just personally feel that this kind of thing is best saved for the off season. But if others want to speculate, feel free.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 23, 2001 11:37 PM ]

Can you compare the following players to ML leauge players:

Ishii
H Matsui

Also, does the home field of "Godzilla" contribute to his power totals, or does he have legit ML home run power to produce those #'s anywhere (parkwise).
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 24, 2001 1:13 PM | YBS Fan ]

> Can you compare the following players to ML leauge
> players:

I'm afraid that I don't know many MLB players any more, so I'd rather not make a fool of myself by trying. I know that my narrow focus on Japanese baseball is a fault and I should broaden my horizons. But it's not a fault that I'm axious to correct right now.

> Also, does the home field of "Godzilla" contribute to
> his power totals, or does he have legit ML home run
> power to produce those #'s anywhere (parkwise).

"Godzilla" is H. Matsui, if you hadn't heard that nickname before. And while Tokyo Dome does seem to be a home run hitters' park, Matsui hits mosterous shots that would get out anywhere.

The managers who have come over with the MLB All Star teams for the past several series' have all commented positivly on Matsui's power. He's even recieved at least one intentional pass by the Major Leaguers, showing that they do respect that power with the game on the line.

But unless some MLB team is going to subvert JPB/MLB agreements and get Matsui to defect to the U.S. before becoming a free agent, we won't know until 2003.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.