Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Can You Root for the Hanshin Tigers in English?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Can You Root for the Hanshin Tigers in English?
Hi,

I was wondering again if anyone might know where I can purchase the English book below in the US. I have a friend whose a Tigers fan and she saw this book on a travel show we both watch and she's trying to get a copy, but so far I have struck out online finding anything but a reference to the book. The link below is to one of those reference sites that has an image of the book cover as well as a description. Does anyone know where I can find a copy to give her the link so she can order a copy from the US? Below is the title4 in English and Japanese.

TIA!

Can you root for the Hanshin Tigers in English?(英語で阪神タイガースを応援できまっか?)
Comments
Re: Can You Root for the Hanshin Tigers in English?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 23, 2007 11:00 AM | NIP Fan ]

Err, it's not that hard to copy and paste a title into Amazon.co.jp's search engine and see your book listed here.

But, why would you want to root for the Tigers or any other team in English? I basically think that half of the fun of going to baseball games in Japan is learning the cheers in Japanese and yelling and singing all game and being part of the crowd, not trying to stand out and be different.

(I did transliterate the Fighters ouenka into English a few weeks ago, and if they weren't playing the Dragons in the Japan Series I'd do theirs too. Maybe in the off-season I'll get around to it.)
[ Author: Guest: Dave | Posted: Oct 23, 2007 12:27 PM ]

As I said, it's for a friend and was a book we both saw on Anthony Bourdain's show "No Reservations" when he was doing a show on Osaka.

And it's weird, because I tried Amazon Japan and this didn't come up. Thanks.

I actually found the English page which works great now, if they ship internationally, lol.
[ Author: Guest: Mark | Posted: May 17, 2009 4:53 AM ]

Just ordered by phone from Kinokuniya San Francisco. "Eigo de Hanshin Taigazu o Ouen Dekimasuka?" The point for others is to be able to root for the Tigers in Japanese and to learn important words and phrases like "idiot," "pervert," and "yo b****!" You go Taigazu!
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 17, 2009 10:12 PM ]

Glad you found it and enjoy your book. Just be careful with it. If it's bilingual, I wouldn't recommend trying to use any of the Japanese if you come to a game in Japan. Trendy books like these tend to be full of errors and Japanese that actual Japanese people never use.

I love Bourdain's show as well and was thrilled he did a piece on the Tigers, although there were several factual errors in the show as well.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: May 18, 2009 9:01 AM | YOK Fan ]

That Japanese looked like Kansai-ben to me. Am I right? Not that there's anything wrong with Kansai-ben but you may get some blank stares at the games if you speak it.

Anyways, unless you're hurling insults in the direction of the Yomuri Giants, then it's considered impolite. So I wouldn't recommend it.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.