Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

How Much Does NPB Get from Video Games?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
How Much Does NPB Get from Video Games?
Hi.

I'm working on paper about baseball and baseball video games. I see they have some video games based on the NPB and they sells a lot in Japan. Does anybody know how much the NPB gets from those video games for the license?
Comments
Re: How Much Does NPB Get from Video Games?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 19, 2003 11:49 AM | YBS Fan ]

I don't play video games (I much prefer to play with databases), so I'm afraid that I don't pay much attention to the topic.

However, I do know that NPB sold the rights to player images (undermining the Players' Union who thought they had such control) to one of the game makers (I don't remember which one). So all other game makers must license through that one game maker for images - not a good way to promote competition when you have to pay your competition license fees. I don't know any more details about the deal, so I don't know if it was a one time payment or if NPB gets a cut per game and/or license.

The other probable avenue for license fees is most likely the data. All official data is handled by NPB BIS, through which all game makers license the data that runs their games. You'll need to contact them (although I have no idea how, as they lack contact information on their web site) for their licensing information.

Of course, the real Commissioners' Office would probably be able to give you real data. The phone number is 03-3502-0022 (81-3-3502-0022 from outside of Japan).

Gambatte kudasai.
Re: How Much Does NPB Get from Video Games?
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jul 20, 2003 3:15 AM | HT Fan ]

I'm pretty sure the game company in question is Konami. I saw a feature on NHK news about this very topic several months ago. I don't remember much about it, other than what Westbay-san already said. But the company is Konami.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.